Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router restarting every ~24 hours

Isitari
Grafter

Router restarting every ~24 hours

Dear Plusnet,
My router keeps restarting every approx 24 hours for no apparent reason. The logs show the following:
17.890000) Boot reason: watchdog reset (cause: 0x3.

If this could be looked into that would be great.

Many thanks,
Isitari.
P. S. The router does appear to have stopped resetting the 5GHz channel to 'smart' thankfully though.
5 REPLIES 5
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Router restarting every ~24 hours

Hi @Isitari, this sounds like it could be a possible router issue. Have you got an alternative router you're able to test just so we can rule this out?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

That error is typically indicative of a hardware fault. I'd suggest a factory reset and if that doesn't clear it, we can arrange a replacement.
Intreagued by the statement about smart channel selection on the 5GHz radio. Can't really see many instances where it would be preferable to have it set to anything else.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Isitari
Grafter

Re: the 5GHz channel selection. Its because away from the router there are a series of strong 5GHz channels that are blocked from the router but not from the rooms in which I can receive the 5GHz signal. Hence the router thinks these channels are clear when in fact they aren't in the places where the signal is being used.

Also smart channel switching on current equipment is generally really poor (or even with enterprise level equipment):
'Setting the channel to “auto” should similarly be avoided, in spite of how tempting it is. The issue is that the Unifi APs don’t work with each other when they auto-select channels, and this frequently leads to a situation in which your access points (and your neighbors’ APs, too) constantly stampede across the spectrum, chasing an ever-moving chunk of unused air and constantly interfering with each other. Manual channel selection stakes a claim on some spectrum for each AP, and it should result in more consistent connectivity and a more evenly distributed use of the available spectrum (especially if your neighbors keep their stuff set on auto).'

From https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/07/enterprise-wi-fi-at-home-part-two-reflecting-...

I can test with another router (a BT HH 5) as even as I was typing this on my phone the router restarted! Happy days....
JohnBroad02

I had been facing the cisco VPN error 412 while starting. The issue was coming again and again. I felt that it was an internal router issue. I browsed a lot to solve it. Then I got a proper solution from https://www.routertechnicalsupportnumbers.com/blog/knowing-everything-about-cisco-vpn-error-412/, and I am satisfied with it.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Isitari wrote:
Re: the 5GHz channel selection. Its because away from the router there are a series of strong 5GHz channels that are blocked from the router but not from the rooms in which I can receive the 5GHz signal. Hence the router thinks these channels are clear when in fact they aren't in the places where the signal is being used.

Doesn't this same logic work in reverse? i.e. the 'strong' access points can't see your router either, and therefore could easily smart switch to the channel you've explicitly chosen? Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵