cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router repeatedly dropping Wifi connection for certain devices and requesting passwords

FIXED
Misfit_Tempo
Fixes: 1

Router repeatedly dropping Wifi connection for certain devices and requesting passwords

Hello there,  

Within the last few days my partner has noticed that the Wifi on her laptop keeps getting disconnected from the network.  The network stays up and other devices remain connected and online, it is just her laptop that randomly just gets dropped. 

When she goes to reconnect to the network it fails and keeps failing until she either enters the Wifi Password again or hits the WPS on the router. 

At first I thought she was just having a bad day but yesterday our PS4 couldn't connect either.  It hadn't been on for a while so I though maybe something had changed, so I entered the Wifi password and carried on as normal.

Today I turned it on and it could not connect again.  I don't know why, it's like the authentication isn't working or something?

Had a peek on the router itself and on the list of Wifi devices, it said both of them could not connect but all the other devices could without issue.

We are using the Plusnet Home Hub One with software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263.  All devices are connected via 2.4 Ghz and had no issues until 2 days ago

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be very much appreciated

5 REPLIES 5
Toursick

Re: Router repeatedly dropping Wifi connection for certain devices and requesting passwords

This happens to me for the last few months since joining PlusNet. I just today thought to look and found the forums. I cannot believe the only fix is to go on eBay and buy another router etc. I am waiting for the call centre to open to call and sort a cancellation out. I’d rather pay double for Virgin again. At least I can trust my personal cloud is up to date before I leave the house that way. Cheap is [-Censored-].
Misfit_Tempo

Re: Router repeatedly dropping Wifi connection for certain devices and requesting passwords

There has not been an issue for the last year or so with our service until just the other day which may indicate a faulty router or a dodgey update or something.  I doubt the ONLY fix is to buy one on ebay, did you contact plusnet about a replacement first?  

Toursick

I called PlusNet approx 3 months ago to complain about the same issues got nowhere. I had to go away on a trip.

During that trip the router repeated the issue. It caused all devices to disconnect. My machines which run cronjobs and other file system related things stopped working causing me frustration whilst away.

I’ve had internet since 1997 and never had such a lack of confidence in a service working, than I have since I joined plusnet

Again I called plusnet. I kept mentioning threads here, and Bob Pullen, but got nowhere again. To say the staff on the phones have no idea about the problem, or the solution, is crazy. They don’t even know to refer you to the forums to dig out the info yourself. Instead you must spend a few hours until you stumble upon the solution; buy a new router.

poor.
Misfit_Tempo

And did they not offer to send you a replacement?

Misfit_Tempo

Fix

Well I contacted Plusnet Support and they suggested unsyncing the 5GHz from the 2.4GHz and then changing the 2.4GHz channel.  It was on channel 11 now it is on 1.  Looks like that fixed the issue.  Will need to monitor for the next few days and see if it works on my partners laptop when she gets back but that seems to have fixed it.  No new router necessary.  Hope this might help you