cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router red lights :(

E-M-A

Router red lights :(

We have a Zyxel Router and it’s been temperamental for the last few months. I’ve noticed that it works fine if we use the 5ghz band but if we connect too many things to the 2.4ghz band it knocks the whole internet out. We have a few devices which only work on 2.4ghz so it’s very frustrating. I tried changing the channel and that helped for a week or so. Anyway, today the router is completely dead - red power light and red internet light and absolutely no response when I try and reset it. The trouble I have is that my partner’s employer provides our broadband because he is a home worker. This is great in that it’s free, but it leaves me powerless to sort this problem out. Last time this happened my partner’s employer said they would send an engineer but because it’s an intermittent fault we’d be charged if it was working when they arrived. It did start working again after that so we didn’t have a visit. Does anyone have any advice? Could I buy a new router to try and solve the problem?
5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Router red lights :(

E-M-A

Thank you, no idea what I’m doing here! Have reposted it there.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): This thread is now in the appropriate board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Sounds like your Partner's employee needs to arrange a replacement. You can use another router as long as you're able to configure it with the broadband username and password.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @E-M-A

I would have your partner contact your employer directly so that they can run tests on the line, and provide you with the details you would need to try a third party router.  Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team