cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router recommendations please

KAR
Dabbler

Router recommendations please

My house has a thick wall in the centre which blocks the wifi. So I've installed a network cable from one half to the other and used my old PlusNet Thomson 585 router as a repeater/hub in the other half of the house. The Thomson is tired and often needs rebooting. Both the Thomson and Sagemcom 2704N (which I got from PlusNet when I had fibre installed a few years ago) have rubbish wifi speeds even when the mobile device is just 1 metre away. So I recon I need to replace both. What do you recommend? I could do with a few more wired ports on the router that will replace the Thomson one.

6 REPLIES 6
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Router recommendations please

Sounds to me like  you need a Draytek 2860 (WiFi model of your choice) and a Draytek access point on the end of your wire.

It won't be cheap but should meet your needs.

I am the satisfied customer....
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi @KAR

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for getting in touch regarding your issue.

Have you tried going through the wireless channels on your 2704N router? If not you can find instructions on how to do this here in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57pgKdRcBY&list=PLZx9FPn3_-IUjbbUJ_9Q2XeXb42z9oTve&index=4

I have also checked your account and I can see that you are due for a renewal on the 13/01/2017. This means that with a new deal you will be able to receive our new Hub One router at no extra cost (P&P £6.99)

KAR
Dabbler

Good to know I'm up for renewal soon - I did phone and was told renewal wasn't until April. As a temporary fix I managed to get hold of a brand new BT Business Hub 5 FOC and have used this as the main router: it has a built in modem so I can replace the Open Reach modem too. I'm now using the Sagemcom as a repeater. So far so good and it hasn't cost me anything.

BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Yeah the renewal period is always 3 months before your contract is due to end which is the 13/04/16.

Ah great! I'm glad to hear that is working better for you. The new Hub One router we supply also has a built in modem so it removes the need for the Openreach one as well.

To discuss your options when the renewal date of the 13/01/2016 comes around, please contact our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 and select option 1 then option 2. The team will run through all the deals available for you and at that point you can discuss the new router as well.

hollandnumerics
Dabbler

KAR,

I had a similar problem, but solved it using TP-Link Powerline adapters, so now I have a network cable from my router plugged into a Powerline adapter, and can plug in the Powerline adapter with a Wifi access point anywhere I want around the house. I've even plugged it into a long extension cable to give me Wifi at the end of my garden.

.............Phil

KAR
Dabbler

Thanks Phil, I've tried PowerLine adapters but that part of the house is on a different fusebox and the adapters don't work well: they are slow and after a few months they fail. I've tried several makes of PowerLine adapter but they all fail after a while.