Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router rebooting

Joel232
Hooked

Router rebooting

This is driving me insane!!

I play quite a lot of Fifa online and every night, without fail, between 9 to 10 pm the router will restet and I get disconnected from my game.

The router disconects, flashes orange then reboots and is fine but I've obviously been disconnected.

I've contacted support multiple times but they just say there isn't an issue. There certainly is!!

I've got fibre and the stock plusnet router connected to my PS4 by Ethernet.

It happened tonight about 21:18

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
Joel232
Hooked

Re: Router rebooting

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using an Ethernet cable so I don't think it would be down to the wireless channel?
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

What model Plusnet router do you have?

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

Hub One or Hub Zero (2704n) ?

Is your hub connected to phone extension socket using a microfilter?  Or do you have an Openreach VDSL face plate which has separate phone and fibre socket?

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Joel232
Hooked

Sorry for the delay.

This is my router...

The engineer installed a new socket which he said meant I didn't need a micro filter. This is the main socket in the house.

bill888
Champion

You have a Hub One and sounds like you have an Openreach VDSL face plate fitted.

It is unclear whether the hub shut down and restarted (rebooted), or you suffered a loss of broadband due to temporary noise/fault on the line and the hub simply reconnected moments later.

After the flashing Orange light appears, do you recall what colours subsequently appear for the main power light?

Have you observed the orange light change to 'green' which would indicate the hub shut down and restarted/rebooted ?

A Plusnet guide to the lights can be found here, second option from bottom which refers to checking lights.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

The Hub One is a rebadged Home Hub 5.  This link provides alternative description of the lights.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10282/~/what-do-the-lights-on-my-bt-hub-mean%3F

You can log into the Hub One by going to   192.168.1.254 with a web browser. 

Click on Troubleshooting tab, and access the router's event log.

I think if you filter by 'System' events, instead of 'All, and scroll to the time when you witnessed problems, and perhaps post what you see here.

If a plusnet agent is reading this post, perhaps they can check your account.

Joel232
Hooked

Thank you. I'll have a look when I get home.

I think it goes orange (flashing) then to solid blue, with no green in between.

Thank you for your help so far. It's literally doing this every night (last night about 21:57). Driving me insane!!
Joel232
Hooked

So this is what I'm getting.

It seems to be when I'm on the PS4 with the Ethernet
bill888
Champion

The image you uploaded clearly shows the hub rebooting at times when you normally would not expect it to do so.  But it is not occurring every night though.  ie. last reboot was recorded on 21st July.

Can you upload a portion of the log showing events just prior to last known recorded reboot at 20:22 on the 21st, to see if there are any clues as to why the hub decided to reboot.  You may need to set the Category filter to 'All'.  Perhaps use copy the text and paste here instead of a screen capture if it all won't fit on the screen.

Can you also upload log for events prior and including last night's outage at 21:57 ?

Joel232
Hooked

Please see attached.

Thank you
bill888
Champion

22:01  PPP Send LCP Termination Request [User request]

is a generic message to indicate the hub witnessed a loss of broadband but does not give a reason.  Usually it is an issue with the line.  eg. it could be electrical noise, particularly as it seems to only happen in the evenings.

Could you review the logs and see if this message has appeared at any other time of the day (and were you using your PS4) ?

When using your phone, do you hear any strange background noises to suggest a noisy line ?

At 22:03

Down rate = 37564 kbps, Up rate = 2001 kbps

SNR Margin down = 6.0dB, up = 24.8dB

I note you are not connected at full 39999 kbps so it suggests your fibre cab may be over 600m away.

If any Plusnet agent is reading this message, perhaps they can check your account history for disconnections?

Joel232
Hooked

Thanks again for your response.

I've just rebooted and am getting this rate;
Joel232
Hooked

Additionally, I've found this which doesn't sound good!!

'Attack suspected'
bill888
Champion

Down rate = 38274 kbps

SNR margin down = 8.6 dB

The default SNR for downstream is 6.0dB when broadband connection is established.  DLM can apply a higher figure to cope with noisy lines, rising in increments of 3dB (it may be 1.5 dB, not sure).  eg. 9.0 dB may be applied to your line.

A side effect of increasing the default noise margin, is the data rate is also reduced.

Early this evening can you report back what  you see below.

In the Troubleshooting -> Help Desk on the hub, there is page containing line stats.

5. VDSL uptime  (Time elapsed since last reboot or broadband disconnection)

6. Data rate

8. Noise Margin

9. Line attenuation

Sunset is around 8.30pm, so check again around 8pm and 9pm (ideally if there is no broadband disconnection) to see if the noise margin drops significantly.

'Attack suspected'

Don't worry about those entries. The hub's firewall is doing its job.  In any case, they shouldn't cause broadband to disconnect.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The disconnections are at very similar times of the day, is there anything that comes on/off locally around those times (hot water, heating, street lights even)?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Joel232
Hooked

Not at these times but it is when I'm playing on the PS4 online (with the Ethernet cable to port 1)