cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router rebooting on its own

knewton1971

Router rebooting on its own

I should start off by explaining that I did speak to telephone support this morning, and am only posting here as could not use the online fault reporting system due to constant 'unknown database fault reporting' error, as well as online chat seemingly permanently unavailable.  

A couple of weeks ago router started doing sporadic multiple reboots, up to 6, one after the other, within the space of 10 minutes.  The man at customer support seemed convinced it wasn't a fault with the router.  I am not convinced however.  I have worked as an IT engineer now for over 15 years and have never had a device restart itself due to a fault with its network connection.  I know that the device is in full reboot mode as it is not possible to connect through the browser when the lovely-looking orange disco display is happening.

I should also state that my IT study where my router is located has its own clean, recently (5 years ago) installed mains supply, and everything runs through a UPS and is surge protected.

14 REPLIES 14
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Router rebooting on its own

I must admit I would be inclined to try another Router - at least it would prove it one way or the other.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

There were quite a few reports of routers rebooting recently when some new wireless play devices.

Have you tried switching all your connected devices off to see if the router reboots?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Mustrum

That would still be a fault with the router!

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@ejs which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I just seem to remember a few months ago a spate of instances when people got some new wireless play devices that caused HH5's and Hub 1's to reboot. So if the OP does not have another type of router to try, it could be a quick and easy way to check things.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Not so long ago Plusnet Hub Ones would get into a reboot loop when a Google Home device tried to connect, a firmware upgrade on the Google device was required to prevent this.

Link

ejs
Aspiring Hero

@Mustrum

Under what circumstances do you think a wireless router should reboot itself? I'm thinking there aren't any, besides things like upgrading the firmware which actually require a reboot.

It doesn't matter what any other wireless device does or doesn't do, the router still shouldn't reboot itself.

Sure, there might be something hitting a bug in the router firmware which causes the router to reboot, but the problem is still with the router.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

@ejs I have never said it is not a router fault, just trying to give the OP a suggestion to help him out.

@Browni has a better memory and or search ability than me, and has provided the link to the issue I was trying to refer to.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I remember posting in the original thread so found it quite quickly.
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The idea that the Router will be caused to reboot by any LAN activity is very odd and frankly difficult to believe. However it does seem to be that a lot of people are getting the same problem.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Just to throw my two pennies into the discussion.

What is the make/model of router?

How old is it?

fwiw, it could be a failing power adapter, or perhaps the router is overheating.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
knewton1971

Only been with plus net for 2 months, so whatever the latest model is.

Not at home atm, so can't check.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

From testing your line it's identifying a external fault

If you raise this here we can look into this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero

@knewton1971

Please check the router logs to see if it really is rebooting rather than merely unresponsive.

DustinDeTorres

That router is gone. If I were you i should buy a new one.