cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router overload with new Samsung Smart TV

jamie-2000

Router overload with new Samsung Smart TV

Hi

Have had no real problems with Plusnet router for the last year, but have just bought a new Samsung Smart TV and as soon as I've started using that to stream content the router seems to fall over. Have had an older Samsung 4K TV connected for over a year and streaming from that has caused no problems.

New TV connection via Wifi. Have rebooted both router and new TV. Reset network on TV. Forced connection to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. In the early stages of figuring out what was happening also tried hard-coding DNS server on TV to google's servers (spotted an forum post suggesting trying this.) Have moved the TV closer to the router. Still seeing the same problem.

TV connects to WiFi fine, starts to stream content fine (both iPlayer and Netflix). Soon afterwards the latency on the WiFi network sky-rockets (have had a laptop connected to WiFi pinging the router.) Content starts to buffer. Pinging starts to time out completely. All other WiFi devices seem to disconnect. This remains the case for a little while (even if I've turned off the TV that was streaming.)

After about 5 minutes the router seems to come back to life, and devices reconnect. 

Didn't see this behaviour with our older Samsung 4K TV even when streaming 4K Netflix.

Feels like an issue WiFi side rather than internet side.

I know I need to test when hardwired but haven't a cable to hand long enough. 

HUB DETAILS: Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.237.2.2 | Last updated Unknown

Have seen some suggestion this is a slightly older firmware version, so would be good to get this updated first but seems this has to be pushed by Plusnet themselves?

Any other ideas gratefully received...

Thanks,

Jamie

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

11 REPLIES 11
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Router overload with new Samsung Smart TV

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Rodvdb

Having this exact same issue, Samsung smart TV, exactly the same disconnecting behaviour. Have tried connecting a WiFi access point to the ethernet port of the Plusnet router and then connecting the TV to that but it makes no difference so I wonder if it is something in the router/modem part of the router itself...
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @jamie-2000 & @Rodvdb,

Thank you for confirming the checks you have carried out in an attempt to resolve this issue.

I appreciate this is difficult with the device being a TV but are you able to connect directly from the router to the TV via Ethernet cable using automatic IP / DNS and see if the issue persists?

Also I would recommend checking the firmware version of the TV and when the last update was received.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
jamie-2000

Just to give folk an update. Have little to back up the theory, but I wonder if the issue is related to the router struggling to keep up with errors when streaming UHD. Although the WiFi wasn't that bad it wasn't full strength at the point of the TV. I would have just said the WiFi was becoming saturated with a high bandwidth stream, but that doesn't explain why other devices dropped off the network for a few minutes after the stream stopped. So perhaps the processor in the router eventually gets saturated and drops all connections even though the WiFi looks to still be up. (Something doesn't quite stack up as I'd expect video streaming to be UDP rather than TCP, so re-send overhead shouldn't be a thing - tho am no expert though so not really sure.)

I was seeing the router fall over all the time on iPlayer UHD streams, and often (but not always) on YouTube UHD streams, so wonder if different streaming protocols are burdening the WiFi processing on the router in different ways.

I ended up fixing my issue by putting in an ethernet over power connector near my router, and another by the TV, then plugging the TV in directly over ethernet. Not seen the issue since, but suspect it's still there if I switched back to WiFi.

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I would give it another try with the wifi, and if it fails again, depending upon how old the router is get in touch with plusnet support, and ask for a router thats fit for purpose

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi again @pint & @jamie-2000,

Thank you for providing this information.

Are you able to tell us when the last firmware update was on both your smart TV's? @pint, as @jamie-2000 has a Hub One, it is unlikely trying this equipment will resolve the issue.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Rodvdb and @jamie-2000, I've upgraded both of your hubs to the latest available firmware build. be interesting to know whether or not it's made a difference?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Rodvdb

Not for me unfortunately, it has dropped out 3 times tonight already.
My TV is about 1year old so this is HD not 4k or anything like that. Happens on Netflix, iPlayer and Amazon so does not seem related to a specific service.
I checked for updates for the TV and there were none, it was last updated about 6 months ago.
Previous internet connection was with Virgin and although it had its own problems this was not one of them...
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

@Rodvdb, sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Are you able to try a direct ethernet connection to your router?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Rodvdb, I've taken a quick look at your device logs. Few questions...

What make/model is your TV?

Also, I don't suppose you can prove the last four digits of the TV's MAC address? On my Samsung TV, you can find this under Menu > Network > Network status. I'm guessing it's a7:3d? It's not currently got the best wi-fi signal in the world (-68dB), but then it's not the worst either.

I can see something weird seemingly happened around 7.20pm. Was that in response to anything you did? Also, are you using any wi-fi extenders? There seems to be a TP-Link device in the vicinity that's knocking out a fairly strong wi-fi signal.

@jamie-2000, fancy switching back to wi-fi so I can pull the logs from your router too? We'd need to wait for the issue to happen before it would be of any use to me.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Rodvdb

Hi Bob
Yes that is the TV Mac address.
I had a WiFi access point plugged into the ethernet port of the router to try and see if when the WiFi dropped out on the Plusnet box the internet via the ethernet would continue to work. Answer is no, when the WiFi falls over all internet access stops...
I have this evening turned off that access point and moved everything back to the Plusnet router.
Just to be clear, when the WiFi breaks it stops working on all devices, not just the TV. Phones, iPad, desktop, laptop etc.
I will watch it tonight and see if I can give you a time when it stops working.
Thanks
Rod
Tags (1)