cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not working

chapacan
Hooked

Router not working

I have started getting disconnection on my connection. I initially thought it was something to do with my line. So reset my router, checked all the connections and lines but still get the issues. But I borrowed one of my friends router and the line has been steady. What would I need to get a replacement for the router I have now?
14 REPLIES 14
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Router not working

Plusnet may provide a replacement but you may find it quicker and really worth while to find a BT HH6 on ebay or Gumtree, prices around £5 to £15. These work superbly on PN connections, their wifi is about 20% better in my case, and you'll find full setup instructions elsewhere on this forum. Good luck.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

It you are in contract then pn will replace a faulty router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @chapacan

I'm sorry to see you're having issues with the router we've sent. Not sure that the router's materially faulty or the router you've borrowed is actually using your broadband service with us, because from what I can see there's been no active connection on your account since you've signed up. 

Could you try going through the following steps to manually connect your Plusnet router?

1. Connect a device onto the router's WiFi or plug a laptop/PC into the router using an ethernet cable
2. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254
3. Click on the Advanced Settings tab
4. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button
5. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Broadband tab
6. If there's a Disconnect button, click that
7. Change the username to the broadband username in the format of username@plusdsl.net If you can't remember this I'd check for any emails we've sent you for example an email with you bill on as we'd add the username to the top of the email.
8. Type in the account password, this can be reset here: https://www.plus.net/forgotpassword/ if needed.
9. Hit the Connect button.

Let us know how you get on Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chapacan
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf 

Thanks for the response. I was not informed that I needed to log in and when I got the router (and I had issues with not getting my router delivered for a few weeks) plugged it in and saw a connection already, so I thought it was good to go. I've done this now but unfortunately, the connection is still in the same state, randomly disconnecting every now and then when using the router sent to me. Changed it again to the router my friend let me borrow and the connection is all fine. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @chapacan 

Can you plug the router we've sent back in so I can test your line? 

Also what's the make and model of the router you've borrowed, is it another ISP's router or a third party?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chapacan
Hooked

His router is a Plusnet Hub one too, similar to the one I have. I've just placed my old router back and still has the same issue.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Something's definitely odd, because I can see a connection to the internet as of around 10am this morning on your account, however since then there have been no drops even though you've disconnected your router twice? 

Have you definitely configured both routers to use your username?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chapacan
Hooked

Hi,

Could you maybe check again? I re logged on both devices now, and have my router connected.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem @chapacan

Do you have your router currently plugged in or your friend's?

Could you also drop me a PM with the serial number of your router along with the first 6 characters of the MAC?

You'll find this on the label under the pink feet. The serial number will begin with +081441+NQ

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chapacan
Hooked

I've sent you a PM with the serial no. and MAC. I'm currently using my own (i've told you the wrong response in the PM).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the private messages @chapacan

I've added your router onto your account now, it looks like this wasn't done automatically as the router wasn't scanned to your account before it left the warehouse. 

Can you try going into the wireless settings of both routers to compare? Once you're at the router's homepage http://192.168.1.254, click on the Wireless tab and then 2.4GHz Wireless and 5GHz Wireless in turn. 

Just wanting to see if there are any differences which may explain why one router doesn't work well but the other does. 

If there are no differences, let us know and we'll be happy to send you a replacement router. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
chapacan
Hooked

Hi @Gandalf 

I just did what you asked with and compared both routers and it doesnt have any differences with regards to the settings of 2.4 and 5 Ghz for both devices.

Would the replacement router cost us anything?

By the way, thank you very much on this as you've been really helpful and quick to reply.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @chapacan

Ah really odd. Happy to send a replacement router free of charge.

Could you drop me a PM to confirm the address you'd want it sending to?

I can see the router we've sent you last was to a different address to where we're providing your services at. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet