Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router not accepting credentials

FIXED
GhostDoggyWoofW
Fixes: 1

Router not accepting credentials

After yesterday's broadband outage I made the mistake of resetting my router. Now I get incorrect isp username or password. All lights on router (Netgear N300) and Bt open reach modem are green. Need Internet for work, pulling my hair out here, anyone have an idea? I am inputting correct username and password and have no weird wildcard characters in my password.
5 REPLIES 5
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Router not accepting credentials

For the username, did you remember to append @plusdsl.net to the end of your plusnet account username?

eg.  myname@plusdsl.net

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
GhostDoggyWoofW

Yes, driving me mad. Currently plugged in direct to modem but need WiFi working.
bill888
Champion

Has the firmware on the Netgear N300 ever been upgraded while retaining existing Plusnet settings during each upgrade?

It is possible that newer firmware has a bug, and by 'resetting' the router, the bug has come to light.

Is this an ADSL router given it is a vintage N300 model?

If yes, are you sure the other settings are correct?  VPI/VCI etc.

Plusnet also supports PPPoE over ADSL, as well as the default PPPoA.   Give PPPoE a try.  (You should also reduce the MTU to 1492 when using PPPoE)

GhostDoggyWoofW

Fix

Has the firmware on the Netgear N300 ever been upgraded while retaining existing Plusnet settings during each upgrade? Yes

It is possible that newer firmware has a bug, and by 'resetting' the router, the bug has come to light.Seems likely

Is this an ADSL router given it is a vintage N300 model? Yes

If yes, are you sure the other settings are correct?  VPI/VCI etc.This is probably the problem as the router doesn't let me set these

Plusnet also supports PPPoE over ADSL, as well as the default PPPoA.   Give PPPoE a try.  (You should also reduce the MTU to 1492 when using PPPoE) It was defaulting to PPPoE.

Anyway, bought a Linksys N300 for £18 from Ebuyer, £6 for next day delivrey and all is well again. Possibly the easiest setup I have ever done, plugin, run cd, enter username and password, job done. Weirdly, this was advertised as being a router w/o wifi, but has wifi (now disabled as i don';t need competing networks).

bill888
Champion

I presume you purchased a TPlink TD-W8970 adsl N300 modem router, not Netgear ?

Regarding the old Netgear, perhaps try older firmware. Make sure it is for the UK model.

Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation 'PPPoA' or 'PPP over ATM'
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method 'VC Based' or 'VCMUX' or 'VC-Multiplexing'

If using alternative PPPoE, the Multiplexing method should be changed to 'LLC Based'.