cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router noise

UnkleMak

Router noise

I've seen a couple of posts that might be similar to mine but didn't know which one to hijack or reply to so here's another...
My router is making a near constant chattering/scratching kind of static noise and it is driving me mad.
I've seen other threads on here where people got their router replaced, so what are the chances I can get a new one and it won't have this issue?
9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Router noise

You will have to contact Plusnet.

Good luck!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

UnkleMak

I would only the live chat and phone options were both closed and you can't even email them. Other people got replies in here.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Only electro-mechanical components make noise and I'm pretty sure there are none of these inside a router.  So if you hear noise I can only think it must be from an electrical component that is failing and what you hear is small sparks.  If so, this cannot be safe. 

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@ReedRichards

Sorry but this is not correct. There are wound components in routers and unless they are properly vacuum impregnated the coils can vibrate at a resonent frequency that is an audible submultiple of the digital data rate being transmitted. This is irritating but in no way dangerous.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

You'll have better luck receiving a reply if this thread was in the My Router section. Less likely to be seen here in the tech help section. Hopefully a kind Mod will move this for you soon.
That's RPM to you!!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Topic moved to 'My Router' board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Youcan nearly always use live chat -  it's open daily BUT , sometimes it can be hard to find , especially if you're using a tablet like an iPad . 

Plus net needs to figure out how to fix this for tablet users  . Not everyone uses a desktop machine  

On the plus side I managed to contact tech support this evening by phone with no wait . peak time too 6.00pm. Try calling ! 

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi there.

It seems some of the Hub Ones are making this noise when a 5GHz connection is in use.

Try splitting the 5GHz and 2.4GHz SSIDs and connecting devices on each frequency to see if the problem is isolated to just the 5GHz connection.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I had a couple of Hub Ones and they both made that sound when 5Ghz was in use. Got my own router in the end and no noises.