cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router needs returning?

GizmoHKG
Hooked

Router needs returning?

Helo! Writing on behalf of my parents who are plusnet subscribers. Having installed a third-party router, they are now in possession of a 'Thomson' and a 'technicolour' router from plusnet. Do these need to be returned at any point, or is it safe to dispose of? cheers!

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Router needs returning?

they don't need to be returned but I would recommend keeping them as a backup

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there, @GizmoHKG

If you would like to dispose of them you can do. Probably would recommend safely recycling them.

But I do agree with Jim; keeping them as a backup could also be a good idea.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You didn't mention the need to remove it from the account TR-069 setup or disabling it via the portal

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

That's a good point.

Although I was assuming the routers would either be kept as a backup or the parts safely recycled into something else.

If the routers are donated or sold, I would recommend the auto setup TR069 feature is disabled by going to:
https://www.plus.net/automatic_hardware_setup/index.php
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
GizmoHKG
Hooked

Many thanks, both!

Just to confirm, disabling the auto setup would stop these routers (or any others that may be sent from Plusnet in the future) from automatically connecting to my parents' account, rather than any new (third-party) routers plugged into their home network automatically connecting to their Plusnet account?

I think that's correct? TR069 won't apply to third-party routers.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Yep. Third party routers wouldn't connect to a Plusnet account using TR069. They would need to be set up manually using the broadband username and password of the account.