Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/modem options

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Router/modem options

My current setup is the openreach fibre modem with the fibre version of the TG582n router provided by Plusnet. I'm thinking of contingencies if/when either of these devices fail (been in use for nearly 4 years).

If the router fails, I still have an ADSL version of the TG582n - can this be re-configured for fibre connection?

If the modem fails, is it worth sourcing a second hand one - what is the typical lifetime of these?

If either of the above are not viable/worthwhile, I would ideally be looking at a one box arrangement. I currently have my printer connected through the USB port on the TG582n, effectively working as a network printer, but as I don't believe the Hub One allows this it is probably not an acceptable replacement. I have also on occasion swapped out the printer for a USB drive for backing up/syncing laptops. I would therefore be interested in recommendations for routers that would allow this. Not looking to spend a great deal. One such router that may fit the bill is the TPLink WD-9980 - anyone use one of these, if so is it any good?

My other car isn't a Ferrari
9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Router/modem options

Go onto Ebay and spend about £30 of a BT Smarthub 6. There are guides on setting it up in this forum, which is dead easy.

It is a one box solution, will give far superior wifi performance to what you have, has the USB connection you require and is available for very little money.

Edit

As identified by @Browni below, the USB socket is desgned to accommodate memory devices, not printers.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Does it support a USB printer? @maranello pointed out the Hub One doesn't and is therefor unacceptable.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Me and my mouth! @Browni I fear that you're right and the USB socket is only suitable for memory devices.

@maranello Many apologies for the misinformation.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

maranello
Pro

@Baldrick1

No worries, not spent any money yet!

I'll trawl the BT Community site to find out if it's possible

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

You can find a good list and discussion of all-in-one VDSL modem/routers at http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
maranello
Pro

@SpendLessTime

Thanks for that link. I had already been there, and noticed that it appeared to be over 3 years old, and as it stated did not include ISP-provided routers such as the BT home/smart hub series.

The budget TPlink WD 9970 does seem to fit the bill, although ideally an extra usb port would be useful for both printer and storage to be permanently connected. 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

It's updated when new routers are released.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:56:20 PM by kitz »

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

What @Browni said.

It is maintained and the rest of the forum discusses particular models in depth where people have experience in them. A lot of the posters work in telecoms or are very experienced in that field. You may spot a few names from these very forums over there too.

And correct it doesn't discuss ISP only models although some of the devices on there are supplied by other ISPs as not every ISP uses custom hardware.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
maranello
Pro

@Browni wrote:

It's updated when new routers are released.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:56:20 PM by kitz »

Sorry, didn't notice that (note to self, book optician appointment)

Thanks to you both.