cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router making humming/hissing noise when streaming video

neilpin

Router making humming/hissing noise when streaming video

Our router is about 3 months old and it's started to make hissing noises every 4-5 seconds whenever we're streaming videos. Any reasons why that might be?

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Router making humming/hissing noise when streaming video

@neilpin  Welcome to the forum.

This is a fairly common 'feature' of the Hub One.  Sometimes Plusnet can be persuaded to change one but of course it's luck of the draw whether the repalcement will be any better.

The official answer is that the noise is 'within limits' but decline to state what the limits are so they could be those set by the HSE before you need to wear ear defenders! Allegedly they are quieter if you switch off the 5GHz band but then of course you lose this band.

If you can't live with it then spend about £20 on an auction site and get a BT Smarthub 6. These are both quiet and have better WiFi performance. Setting instruactions are here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

neilpin

Thanks @Baldrick1. Does anyone know why it's only recently started to make a noise though?  

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@neilpin 

To get technical the cause is believed to be resonance from electrical capacitors. This can start at any time and it’s not unusual for it to start after a while. If you can’t live with it then spend about £20 on an auction site for a BT Smarthub 6. Many of us use them as they are both quiet.and better than Plusnet’s offerings. Settings are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'