Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router in bridge mode with Plusnet?

FIXED
TomW1

Router in bridge mode with Plusnet?

Hi, first time posting here.

I'm currently on Virgin but would like to move as I don't need their TV service, and don't like their customer service. I thought Plusnet might be worth a try. Was thinking of getting the fibre service/phone line.

I have my own router (Netgear R7000) which I'd like to keep as it works well and gives me good coverage in my long flat and works well with all the devices on my home network. I'm wary of using modem/routers sent by ISPs as previous experience tells me they don't always perform well as routers.

Currently, I use the Virgin modem/router in bridge mode, so it just passes the internet signal through to the Netgear router. Can I do the same with the 6.99 Plusnet modem/router i.e. put it in bridge mode and use with my existing router? Or alternatively buy a new modem (e.g. Netgear DM200 if compatible) to use in this way?

Any help much appreciated.

T.

9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Router in bridge mode with Plusnet?

Fix

I'm afraid the Hub One that PN supply for Fibre can not be configured for bridge mode. The 2704N that's supplied for ADSL can (with some considerable fiddling!) be used in bridge mode. TBH you're probably better buying a new modem. The DM200 looks like it SHOULD be ok . I'm currently using one of these http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5728882?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59158|cid:200290250|agid:12504951290|ti... in bridge mode on my PN FTTC connection and it did also work on ADSL prior to my fibre upgrade.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TomW1

Thanks MisterW, that's really helpful. I had looked at the DM200 as it was from Netgear and thought there would be less chance of problems using it with the Netgear R7000 router.

Cheers,

T.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Yes , I looked at the DM200 when I was upgrading to fibre. I have a Draytek 2830 as my router and wasn't prepared to pay the £80 for a Draytek 130 modem. The DM200, from the spec and manuals, looks like it will work ok. The TP link W9970 was on offer in Argos at £29.99 at the time and it's modem got a good review on kitz so that's the main reason I went for it as opposed to the DM200

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pyarwood
Dabbler

just connect one of the PN router ports into the netgears wan port and its technically in bridge mode

if you want you can configure the netgear as a pppoe connection and that will run as bridged

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

just connect one of the PN router ports into the netgears wan port and its technically in bridge mode

No, it isn't. The PN router will still be acting as a router.

if you want you can configure the netgear as a pppoe connection and that will run as bridged

No , the PN router will have been allocated the public IP since IT is establishing the PPPoE connection. The only way to connect the Netgear WAN would to be using DHCP. It would then obtain a private IP from the PN router and you would need to ensure that the private subnets of the 2 routers are different. You would then have a double-nat situation which, although in itself is not a problem, would give problems using voip or if any port forwarding is required.

pyarwood
Dabbler

so set up a nat on the PN router to forward everything to the internal nat.

I am pretty sure the user just wants to use wifi and lan i not sure they want to wire up nasa.

they could ask PN for a openreach modem or buy one off ebay

trying to sell them different routers doesnt really answer the qestion as they could just use the homehub supplied

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The OP said

I have my own router (Netgear R7000) which I'd like to keep as it works well and gives me good coverage in my long flat and works well with all the devices on my home network. I'm wary of using modem/routers sent by ISPs as previous experience tells me they don't always perform well as routers.

From that I deduced he/she had a pretty good idea what they were trying to do. They asked if the PN router could be put in bridge mode, it can't!.

they could ask PN for a openreach modem or buy one off ebay

PN can't supply a BT modem any longer. Yes, you could pick one up on ebay, but a decent HG612 (as opposed to an ECI one ) will cost upwards of £20. So you might as well go for something new with a warranty like the DM200 at £35.

pyarwood
Dabbler

they could buy something new do PN support the dm200

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No they won't of course, and they won't support the BT modem either now. If I didn't think the OP knew what they were doing I would agree that the best option would be to stick with the Hub one, which PN would support.

However if you try to get support with port forwarding from PN, even on the Hub one, you'll be lucky...  

Best option may be, like me, to get the PN Hub one as well, in case it's needed for PN to do any fault finding.