cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router hissing sound

dhough

Router hissing sound

Hi,

I recently signed up with Plusnet, and I spoke to a tech support person last night about not hitting the minimum guaranteed speed.

He tested the line and confirmed it wasn't hitting the guaranteed speed, and made some changes. I was asked to wait for around four hours and reset the router to factory settings. I've just done this and ran a speed test - I don't appear to be hitting the minimum guaranteed speed, but since resetting the router is making a strange hissing sound when I run the speed test, this isn't something I noticed before (perhaps it was there before, and I just didn't notice it).

Is this a common occurence?

Thanks for any help

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Router hissing sound

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @dhough, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear that your router is being affected by this known issue.

In the first instance, we'd ask that you split the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, as detailed below:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950

With regards your speeds - as you're within the stabilisation period, we unfortunately aren't able to raise a speed fault as yet, although we are showing that the router is currently  in sync at .4 of a meg over the MGS, at 59.9mbps.

RGoodhall

Hi my router has been doing that since I received it, driving me nuts!
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @RGoodhall 

Could you take a look at the link @OskarPapa provided above and let us know if this helps you? 

Thanks, 

MoR

RGoodhall

Hi my router is still hissing every time it’s downloading or streaming and I’m nowhere near my guaranteed minimum download speed, it’s also losing connection a lot of the time
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @RGoodhall, I'm sorry that splitting the frequencies hasn't helped, the noise usually occurs when the 5Ghz frequency is in use so may be worth forgetting the network and solely using the 2.4GHz connection.

With regards to your connection, we are seeing a stable connection with no drops in 73 days and a line test shows your router to be in sync at 40mb. Can you please advise if these issues have been experienced over your devices wired to the router also, or if this is only affecting your devices on WiFI?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team