cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router for Dial up Broadband for guest login password

christinebradly

Router for Dial up Broadband for guest login password

Hi my plusnet dial up router doesn't allow a guest login password for limited access, what is the best safe 3rd party router, thats safe, and low cost.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Router for Dial up Broadband for guest login password

Hello Christine "best" and "low cost" don't entirely fit together but in terms of price/performance the TP Link product range seems to satisfy many people.

You could look at the TD-W9970 ( https://www.tp-link.com/uk/service-provider/dsl-router/td-w9970/#overview ) which seems to be about £33 at the moment at Amazon. 

I don't have one of these but I've been reasonably satisfied with other TP Link products in the past.

I am the satisfied customer....
christinebradly

Thank you Mark, this TP Modem Router TD-W9970 looks what I am looking for...
Its for a 3 bed house, with a guest chalet out in the back garden, with electricity connected to the house with a cable over ground atm.

I ordered this TP powerline adapter 600 starter triple wifi kit already, however should I have got the modem instead as you suggested, and cancel the TP link adapter starter link. Or get both?

TP-Link TL-WPA4220T KIT 2-Port Powerline Adapter WiFi Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/WiFi Extender, WiFi

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1HDMFR/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_6WZSEbX5QSZN6

Thank you so much, You have been most helpful.

Christine Bradly
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Hello Christine,

The TD-W9970 makes two WiFi networks at the router but I'm not convinced that you can make any of the 4 Ethernet ports part of the guest network (which you would really need to do with the TP-Link power line extenders). 

As you have a Plusnet router and need to provide an isolated network for your guests in the chalet and another for your own use I would use the TP LInk powerline kit plugged into the Plusnet router (with WiFi turned off on the Plusnet device) and a second router plugged into a second Ethernet socket on the Plusnet device for your WiFi and other requirements in your house.

This is a bit of a mess but relatively easy to get going and test.

The second router for your house would need to be something like the TP-Link Archer C50. You would connect the blue socket on the TP-Link Archer C50 to the Ethernet socket on the Plusnet router.

There may need to be a minor configuration change on one device (I think both will use the same address range so one will need to be 192.168.0.xx and the other 192.168.1.xx) but beyond that it should just plug in and go.

There are considerably more elegant solutions to the problem but they are more expensive, more complex to set up and harder to test so personally I would try this approach first.

I am the satisfied customer....
christinebradly

Hi Mark
Thank you, I will try the Starter kit then if I cannot create 3 separate secure intermet use guest wifi links and aswell as wifi my me, then I will try adding the router TP-Link Archer C50.

The simpler the better. Hopefully it will be ok

Thank you very much for your help.
Christine