cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router dropping connection

joelk2

Router dropping connection

So I've just joined Plusnet and the router keeps dropping it's connection causing me to have to add my login details to the admin page.

Can someone run a test or whatever to get this fixed please? I'm still within my cooling off period and would like to avoid cancelling my contract.
4 REPLIES 4
jerrytaff
Fixes: 1

Re: Router dropping connection

When you first get connected, the system has to determine the max speed you can get a stable connection on. So it will typically start you off conservatively, and if that's ok, try something faster. If it is getting too many errors it will drop the speed down a bit. Each time it changes the speed, it resets the router.  After a short period the speed should stabilise, and the resets will become rarer, perhaps every day or two. However if there is a fault on the wiring, so that the speed it attains is nowhere near what it should be, or if the problem is intermittent, so that a previously stable connection becomes unstable, then the resets will be more often

I had previously been on a  40/10 contract  with another supplier I  had 34 Mb/s with a connection that dropped occasionally.. When I switched to Plusnet on  80/20, (with an expected min download speed of 70Mb/s)  my connection was mainly 26Mb/s (as indicated on the "connection" tab under the advanced settings on the router web interface).  It  would switch up to around  50Mb/s or so, and a minute or two later drop it back down again. It was doing that several times an hour before learning that it really couldn't supply better than 26Mb/s. It  turned out that one of my line filters was defective, and the phone line was interfering. On replacing the filter, the connection was established at 68 Mb/s. 4 days later and 2 or 3 resets later, it is up to 72Mb/s 

So, my advice is:

if you are getting close to your expected speed, it should settle down over a couple of days. If it doesn't, then you need to take it up with Plusnet tech support. If you aren't getting your expected speed, then , if you haven't done so already, you will need to go through the standard fault finding - using the master socket  and filter with all extensions disconnected to see if that gives you a better speed, before involving Plusnet

joelk2

It's plugged into the master socket (that's the only socket I have in my house)

I'm not getting my expected speeds though (expected is 70 and I'm getting 40)
jerrytaff
Fixes: 1

So, from my experience, the resets are probably associated with the incorrect speed. Forgive me for asking the obvious - does the master socket have an inbuilt filter (2 separate outlets), or are you using the filter that came with the router? If neither, then  that might explain it.

Also, are there any cabling junction boxes before the master socket? My home has a BT junction box just where the cabling enters the house. If so a (careful) check that all looks good there is in order.

Otherwise, it sounds as if there is either a fault on the cabling outside your home, (it has never had a party line for the phone has it?)   or that there has been an error in setting you up - there are cases on the forum where Plusnet have put the customer on an 80/20 profile but connected via a line which has been limited to 40/10 according to Openreach engineers when they have been called out. If any of the PN staff are reading this, you can ask them to check and to conduct a line test, or you can try phoning (good luck) or open a support ticket on line . It might take a few days to get a response that way though. 

joelk2

It's a master socket with 2 outlets. No other filter used.

Deffo speed test is 40/20

Will keep an eye on it over the next few days and then will log s ticket if it's still happening.

It keeps asking me to enter my login details on the admin page.

If a member of staff could run a test on my line though that would be greatly appreciated