Did you mean: 

Router disconnects same time every evening

FIXED
jcer947
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Router disconnects same time every evening

Hello,

My Hub one has started disconnecting at 20:57 hours most, but not every, evening. I get the flashing orange lights and it reconnects after a minute or two.

It does occasionally disconnect at other times.

I have not added any new devices into the household, nor set any timers on anything, nor moved the router from where it has been for several years. It is most odd.

I have a ticket raised, 201565849, and have read through some other posts where disconnections were happening at a regular time, but can’t think why this has started happening.

Any one else had this happen and got it resolved?

Thanks, J.
11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Router disconnects same time every evening

@jcer947 

20:57 is around dusk. Do you switch lights on at this time? Also try looking outside and see if street lights turn on around then.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TedT
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Hi @jcer947

As baldrick1 mentioned this is an odd pattern which could be caused by something called REIN. an issue which is notoriously difficult to identify.

More information can be found at https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm#REIN

Also we have opened https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=201565849 which has had is under review by our support centre.

Please fell free to comment on there is you need any further advise.

Regards

Kev

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Kevin T
 Plusnet Help Team
jcer947
Dabbler

Hello,

Thanks for the replies.
I don’t have anything set to come on at the relevant time. The router is in a crowded area of my lounge; lots of plugs around it.
The only device nearby that may work automatically is a Sky Q box but the router and that have worked near each other for years without issue. The only other device on at the same time is an LG smart tv.

I’ve tried to reroute the dsl cable from the socket (right behind the tv stand) to avoid some of the power cables from the various plugs. I’m not an electrical engineer though so have no idea if this will work.

Regards, J
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jcer947 

The reason I mentioned looking at street lights is that assuming that this is caused by REIN it could well be getting into your lines from something external anywhere between your property and the FTTC street cabinet (and less likely but possibly beyond). If your property is fed from an overhead line and the telegraph pole also has a street light mounted on it then a failing light could be the cause.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jcer947
Dabbler

Hello,

I live in a village with three streetlights in total. I don’t think the BT wires go anywhere near them. The nearest light to me is about 300 yards away. I understand that this is likely to be an interference issue but without anything changing inside my property, I’ve no idea what’s causing it or why it should start this month.
jcer947
Dabbler

Fix
Update......

Having moved the dsl line that runs from the adsl filter to the router ever so slightly away from the numerous power cables that surround it (the leads for the tv, router, Sky, soundbar, DVD player, landline phone), the regular disconnects appear to have stopped. Stable for a week.

Plusnet support have rung me and they say the line appears more stable, though there have been a couple of disconnects overnight which I haven’t noticed.

So interference appears to have been the culprit.

Hope this helps someone else.

J.

jcer947
Dabbler

Update two,

Seems I was a bit premature thinking this issue was fixed.

After a week of normality, the router has lost connection again in the evenings albeit at different times. Once two days ago and once again this evening.

It is odd. Been with Plusnet for years and never had anything like this before. I have recently upgraded my product to fibre unlimited from basic fibre but the router was stable after the upgrade for around a month until the frequent disconnects started.

J.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey there @jcer947

Are you noticing the drops over WiFi or wired connections also? I ask as checking your raw connection logs it appears you've had two drops over the weekend around 7pmish but prior to that the line appears to be stable. We wouldn't be able to class this as a drop in connection fault as it's not reach Openreaches parameters yet. 

If the issue is solely WiFi please follow these steps

Thanks. 

jcer947
Dabbler

Hello,

Thanks for looking at this.

I’ve only noticed over Wi-Fi. The router light flashes orange and also shows a steady orange light. The WPS light (I think) underneath the bar light comes on orange too. Only lasts a minute or two then reconnects.

I’ve only got a Sky Q box and smart TV wired to the router. All Wi-Fi devices lose connection (mobile phones and laptops) when a disconnect occurs but I’ve never been streaming anything through the TV or Sky when a disconnect occurs. Perhaps I should stream more often to check.

I’ve updated my open ticket to reflect the two disconnects I mentioned above.

Haven’t noticed one tonight. So far.

Thanks again, J.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for getting back to me @jcer947

I'd suggest monitoring the line for now, try and see if you notice any disconnections on your wired connections. 

Let us know how you get on,

Thanks.