cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router disconnects and reconnects on demand. Any adverse effects likely?

longedge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Router disconnects and reconnects on demand. Any adverse effects likely?

As part of sorting out an intrusion on my router (Netgear R6250) I checked for firmware updates and have installed the recent Beta security update. I've more or less set up everthing satisfactorily now but I see from the router logs that it is constantly disconnecting after timeout and only then re-connecting on demand. Is there any reason why the constant disconnections will cause a problem? I'm wondering if it will be misinterpreted as a fault or line instability.

p.s. - I've set the timeout to 10 minutes.

7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Router disconnects and reconnects on demand. Any adverse effects likely?

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Topic moved to a more appropriate board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should always have the connection set as always on, otherwise as you say the constant disconnect/reconnect may be construed as a fault and be detrimental to your connection.

longedge
Aspiring Pro

I've changed it to be on permanently. No noticeable side effects from the last few days of constant disconnections. Just tested at 50.6/8.0 on Thinkbroadband Speed Test

p.s. - or 55.69/8.18 on SpeedOfMe the one to use if you want a 'feelgood' result.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I presume you are using the R6250 with an external modem?

Does the external modem show disconnections on the DSL line?

If factory resetting the R6250 does not resolve the issue, the only other suggestion is to revert R6250 to previous firmware and see if you still witness the disconnections on the WAN port.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Sorry - didn't make it clear. I had deliberately left the settings to connect on demand after doing a factory reset of my router. Anyway I've changed that to always on now.

Yes I'm using the original OR modem that was supplied when I moved over to FTTC.

Since it's my PPoE session that I have been disconnecting, perhaps it doesn't matter - I don't know enough about it to be certain.

It was just that after having my network hacked I'm trying to lock down everything as much as possible.

p.s. - I don't know of any way to check the modem stats.

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It will only really matter if you contact PlusNet about a fault as they will see the PPP disconnects and interpret them as drops (incorrectly). For DLM and line stability it won't have any effect as all it's doing is equivalent to logging off of the PlusNet gateways.
That's RPM to you!!
longedge
Aspiring Pro

Yes thanks, that's was how I imagined it (although my thoughts were not so well expressed Smiley ).