Re: Router connected, wireless networks disappear from available networks

I've updated my ticket as requested

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @20min_wait_zz,

Thank you for updating the ticket. I've added a response to it now, which you can view here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Old_Fart
Hooked

I've been experiencing the same problem (dropped SSID on 2.4 & 5 Gb channels) for months now.
Plusnet supplied a new replacement router & I connected this using the new power unit and cables to my master socket.
Unfortunately, this hasn't fixed the problem - dropped SSID still occurs most days - and sometimes more than once a day.
Blue operating light on the router remains on. If I unplug the router from the line or reset using the reset button, all gets back to normal once the router is re-connected.
I have no visible conflicting wireless interference - I've changed channels many times to no avail.
We have an Amazon FireHDX in the house amongst mainly Apple devices - so mention of that by Dabbler on 24-10-2018 may be something to look at.

Additional hints / tips appreciated.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Old_Fart,

I'm sorry you're still having issues. 

Would it be possible to provide us with the firmware version your router is using? n the Hub One it's under troubleshooting then helpdesk. Some firmware versions might have a possible issue with some Amazon devices so it might be worth us checking this, as if it is affected it could be throwing the wireless off. 

Old_Fart
Hooked

Thanks for speedy response.

Herewith details requested - I've copied the whols data set :

1. Product name: Plusnet Hub
2. Serial number: +081441+NQ82365927
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated Unknown
4. Board version: Plusnet Hub One
5. DSL uptime: 0 days, 16:57:51
6. Data rate: 19999 / 79994
7. Maximum data rate: 29960 / 94231
8. Noise margin: 15.3 / 6.4
9. Line attenuation: 6.0 / 7.4
10. Signal attenuation: 6.0 / 7.4
11. Data sent/received: 62.2 MB / 728.4 MB
12. Broadband username: [Removed]@plusdsl.net
13. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: [Removed]
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
17. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: [Removed]
18. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
19. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
20. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
21. Firewall: Default
22. MAC Address: a8:9a:93:18:6a:ba
23. Modulation: G.993.2 Annex B
24. Software variant: AA
25. Boot loader: 1.0.0

Hope this helps,

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @Old_Fart,

So this is the newest firmware version that resolved a previous intermittent issue (with certain exchange equipment), but we've become aware of possible issues with Amazon devices. 

What we think happens is whenever a Kindle based device connects to the wifi it causes it to crash and become inaccessible to other wireless devices, a reboot resolves the issue until the Amazon device reconnects (rebooting in the long term will have its own issues - I'd advise against doing this unless absolutely necessary).

Until this is fully resolved there are a few options:

- Don't connect the Amazon device to the router wirelessly (you may be able tether to another device possibly). 

- We can downgrade the firmware to the previous version which should resolve this particular issue.

- We can upgrade the firmware to an engineering build but this is in testing and may have bugs we're not yet aware of. 

Old_Fart
Hooked

Hi JOLO - Thanks for the update.

I'll leave things as they are at the moment - not keen to use development level code.

I'll manage the Kindle connection to try and prove to myself if that is causing the problem.

Meantime, please let me know of any progress in chasing the rougue element down !

Best regards.

Old_Fart
Hooked

UPDATE 31 December :

Am now certain that the problem with disappearing Wi-Fi signal (SSID) from my router is down to a Kindle Fire HDX 7" (Purchased November 2014).
It seems to happen directly the Kindle is used to see 'Store' (the shopping basket symbol). Up to this point, the wireless signal is picked up OK - as indicated by the Wi-Fi connected symbol on the top right of the Kindle display.

After selecting 'Store' ** the Wi-Fi connected symbol disappears and the Kindle displays a 'No Wi-Fi connection' panel - and looking at 'Wi-Fi setting' on this panel, my Plusnet router is not listed (although several others are listed)

** I presume that this operation tries to connect the Kindle to Amazon's on-line book store.

NB : After this operation, the router is now NOT listed on any other of my devices either. Resetting the router fixes this.

Hope this helps with your investigations rather than confuses the issue !

All the best for the New Year

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @Old_Fart,

Thank you for getting back to us with your findings, it really helps. As you have now confirmed the issue you are experiencing is down to the Kindle fire issue we can request your firmware to be updated to resolve this.

Please get back to us if you are happy for us to request this for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Old_Fart
Hooked

Thanks for your comments.

I have to advise you that the problem (dropping SSID) did NOT occur today when the Kindle was connected on-line to Amazon.

It appeared to work normally - which probably doesn't help matters much.

I checked the firmware of my router and it is at the same level as reported previously ( 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated Unknown) - so presume no change there.

Has anything been changed by Plusnet - or are we now dealing with an intermittent problem ?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Old_Fart 

I can't see anything which has been done our side. 

Can I please ask you to give us another report the next time you use the Kindle, so we can see if there is a second session without loss of the SSID? 

We will put our heads together over here and have a think about what the next step will be for you. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Old_Fart
Hooked

I May have been a bit premature with my SSID status.

The Kindle was in use today and initially, everything worked normally (SSID OK).

However, that didn't remain so - the Kindle had been in use during the morning for reading and one or two additional connections made to the Amazon store (on-line). The Kindle is not 'connected' when just Reading but is when accessing to the Amazon 'store'

Once again, SSID from the router disappeared during the course of this morning, only to be returned after a router reset. Unfortunately, I am not able to pin this directly to the Kindle as a dropped wireless connection is noticed only when the Kindle, and my other devices (including my main Mac desktop computer) need to go on-line.

Further, if I haven't mentioned this before, theses 'disconnect' problems have occurred only during the past 3 months, and apart from the addition of a MacBook Air, all wireless connected devices have remained the same.

NOTE: On 16 October 2017 my router was replaced with a new unit - including power unit and line cable (see Question #183619171) - which initially seemed to fix the problem.

Since the router reset after this mornings drop, everything seems to be functioning correctly - including one or two forays into the Amazon store from the Kindle.

It probably won't last and I'm now totally flummoxed !

Happy New Year !

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @Old_Fart,

It is an issue with puzzling results its seems. I have passed this over to our products team to review and push the relevant firmware through over the next few days.

If you see after that point the firmware is till the same, please get back to us and we will chase this up.

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Old_Fart
Hooked

No change to firmware - still at Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259

Dropped twice again this morning - Kindle was turned on and used after reset of router.

Can you access my router log remotely ? If so, I can let you know the Kindle mac and IP details to see if anything untoward can be seen. I'm not technically competent to see anything wrong !

Please advise status.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear this.

I've requested this be escalated further and we'll update you when we know more

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team