Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router connected, wireless networks disappear from available networks

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Router connected, wireless networks disappear from available networks

A few weeks back, I started a thread here about a possible outage on my connection for the day. This was followed by a few of other posts where similar issues were reported by myself. A response from support shows no drop outs on their system. Today I have come downstairs to find no wifi in the house. Looking on my laptop shows the system as disconnected. Opening the available networks to re- connect, neither of my networks (the 2.4 or the 5) are available to connect to. There is throughput via the ethernet, which is probably why nothing shows at the PN end. My Now TV box is connected wirelessly and is the link to my monitor. So, todays wifi disappearance came at 6pm and has resulted in me having to reboot the router to get my networks back again. This is now the 4th time in a few weeks this has happened and appears to be indicative of a PN Hub One router issue. 

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 Last updated Unknown, has been extracted from the router. what firmware should we be running and is it likely to make a difference?

Thanks

Mark

33 REPLIES 33
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Re: Router connected, wireless networks disappear from available networks

I should probably also add that on occasions mobile phones will disconnect from the wireless network and refuse to reconnect (can't remember the error message I get), but it means having to turn the wifi on the phone off and then back on again. Gets a bit frustrating. I like the PN router and don't really want to go back to my old SSE one.

Zdenka
Hooked

Yep, identical issues. Looking to buy replacement router, been like this for months. It doesn’t help that I work in IT, so my whole family is laughing at my expense. I would suggest that you keep the hub to connect to your line, and just add much better wireless router.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

My old SSE router has been a godsend. It is only a Technicolor TG589vac, but it has out performed any router I have had previously and produces a higher sync. I was trying to stay with the PN one because of the ability to name the items attached to the network. 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Marksfish

There are a large number of potential reasons for slow speeds and sometimes these are difficult to track down.

It's likely the problem lies between your router and your devices which we don't have visibility of.

Unfortunately due to the way WiFi works there are a lot of environmental factors which can affect the wireless signal.

Have you tried changing the wireless channels? If not, then please follow the steps here 

Thanks, 

MoR

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

It is not the speed that is the problem, it is the loss of both 2.4 and 5ghz wireless SSIDs for up to 2 hours at a time when there is still sync and throughput on the connection. It has to be some sort of issue with the router, changing channels is only any good for trying to combat wireless congestion issues, which I don't have as there are no overlapping channels.

Mark

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Markasfish,

Thank you for confirming that you'e seeing a complete loss of both SSIDs and that there aren't any overlapping channels showing within the local environment. As this is the case, I agree that this could well be due to a problem with the router itself.

I've ordered you a new router to try and it'll be with you within 3-5 working days. Please let us know if you continue to experience this problem once you have the new router.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

Ah, that was a quick decision. Thank you Thumbs_Up

steves10
Dabbler

Hi, I seem also to have a very similar problem. Everything works fine mostly, but once or twice a day I notice that the wireless is no longer broadcasting on either 2.4 or 5g and nothing can connect wirelessly.. The blue light on the router (hub 1) still shows correctly. When I connect to the router with a cable it shows that the internet is still connected but shortly afterwards the router decides to restart itself and returns to normal until the next time the cycle happens.

Perhaps I need a new router too?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @steves10,

I'm sorry to hear that you're also experiencing dropping connection issues. I've tested your line and the test has picked up an external issue, so it doesn't appear to be related to the router in this case.  For reference, the test result is as follows.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 23.1 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.8 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1227.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2018-10-04T14:15:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 22.2 Mbps 23.3 Mbps 23.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 3.5 Mbps 3.9 Mbps 3.7 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 569.1 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2018-10-17T13:47:09.117+01:00 2018-10-17T14:02:09.117+01:00
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

I've raised this over to our suppliers for further investigation and we should receive an update within 3 working days. Our faults team will be in touch with you once we have this update.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
steves10
Dabbler

Hi Emily

Thanks for looking into it and the line test result, lets hope that a simple repair will fix it.

Steve

20min_wait_zz
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I was sent a new router about 2 weeks ago and it is experiencing exactly the same issue. SSID stops broadcasting and all wireless devices drop connection but wired connections work fine. Reboot fixes but may sometimes only lasts a few minutes before issue recurs again. My Plusnet one hub has same code as quoted by OP. Got to be a bad batch of routers or code bug. Come on Plusnet sort it out!!!!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@20min_wait_zz Sorry to hear you've been having issues with your wireless.

Can you confirm if you've tried going through the steps shown here to see if they offer any improvement?

It also may be worth desyncing the wireless bands as well. I've included instructions on how to do this below

1. Go to 192.168.1.254.
  2. Hit Advanced Settings and enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
  3. Continue to Advanced Settings.
  4. Tap on Wireless.
  5. Choose 5GHz tab.
  6. Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
  7. Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID'
  8. Save the changes.

Let us know how you get on after making these changes

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
20min_wait_zz
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thanks. I called yesterday to spend yet another 20 minutes in your faults queue and was given this exact same script to follow. It hasn't helped, wireless dropped another 4 times and I had to reboot router on each occasion

21:47:22, 23 Oct. ( 30.910000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259
21:47:06, 23 Oct. ( 15.420000) System start
20:54:34, 23 Oct. ( 30.260000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259
20:54:19, 23 Oct. ( 15.430000) System start
18:25:12, 23 Oct. ( 30.610000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259
18:24:56, 23 Oct. ( 15.380000) System start
18:07:25, 23 Oct. ( 30.840000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259
18:07:09, 23 Oct. ( 15.430000) System start
16:11:19, 23 Oct. ( 30.060000) System up, firmware version: 4.7.5.1.83.8.259
16:11:04, 23 Oct. ( 15.440000) System start

that's a grand total of 11 reboots yesterday......

As stated, this issue has only been since I was sent a new router with version 4.7.5.1.83.8.259 installed.

I've seen other threads in your community about older Kindle Fires causing the issue and after last reboot of hub yesterday I turned off the wireless on my FireHDX.....

Guess what? No wireless issues since

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Sorry to hear those steps didn't help.

From what I can see it looks to be more than the wireless connection dropping, because the actual broadband connection is dropping still:

It may be unrelated to the issue you're reporting here, but I'd say it's definitely worth pursuing. If you can reply to your ticket Here with your availability for another engineer visit letting us know over here once you've done so we'll be happy to get the appointment booked in for you.

Regarding the wireless problem I'm glad to hear you've found the cause of the issue. It sounds like it may be due to the Kindle Fire so I'd contact the manufacturer for further assistance here, which I think is Amazon.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet