cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router compatible?

cpembo78
Dabbler

Router compatible?

Ok so ive finally lost my paitence with the plusnet supplied hub. 

I have a lot of devices connected and my son has just added a Google mini and chromecast and my sky q upstairs now crys no connection more often than it did before!

Ive identified two potential replacements - needs to be a modem/router for Fibre. 

So can anyone tell me if the following are compatible or offer suggestions of better for the price range - we do online streaming, gaming via xbox and Pc  - quite often all at the same time.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/Archer-VR600.html#overview

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#overview

the first one is around £100, the second around £70. I am willing to go slightly higher on cost if its a significant improvement but obviously would like to spend less if possible.

Suggestions good people?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Router compatible?

@cpembo78

Both of them are compatible with your FTTC (VDSL) service from PlusNet. 

I presume it's the WiFi you are having issues with? 

TP Link are a good brand, as are Netgear. 

cpembo78
Dabbler

Update on this. Thanks for the comment above.
I've been given a bthub6 by a friend and have set it up. So far the WiFi seems much better. I'm going to give it a couple of weeks and then decide if I need to buy a new one.

Thanks
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I use a Smarthub 6 and am very pleased with the performance. If you decide to buy one then get it from Ebay where you should be able to pick up a brand new one for about £30. However do remember that it doesn't matter how good your Wifi is you only have finite WAN bandwidth. This has to be shared between all your devices which could be demanding high data rates at the same time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@cpembo78 glad you've got something sorted.

Ditto what @Baldrick1 said - I've got the same router (Business version) - £30 brand new on eBay. They retail for £100 usually.

Can't fault it. Wifi is so much better and it is very much fit and forget.

cpembo78
Dabbler

Just for anyone's reference, if you can get hold of a bt hub 6 it is a vast improvement over the plusnet router. I've seen a huge leap in reliability and WiFi coverage.
My son has also said since fitting he has no lag on his Xbox one.
Very impressed.