Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router coil noise (buzzing)

pk86
Hooked

Router coil noise (buzzing)

Hi,

My router recently has started making a buzzing noise. I've tried to switch off both wifi 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz and the problem still occurs.

Can I get a replacement?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Router coil noise (buzzing)

Hi @pk86, thanks for your post.

We're sincerely sorry to hear that despite disabling the individual frequencies, you're still experiencing the buzzing noise.

Can you confirm if you're noticing any service impacting effects in relation to this?

pk86
Hooked

The only other random thing is the connection to the router is dropping on the wifi but the wired connections are fine!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for getting back to us @pk86.

It looks like changing those settings didn't save, as we're showing that the bands are still linked and set to auto.

For your convenience, I've re-included the instructions on how to disable the 5Ghz below:

1) To connect to your Hub One, you will need to open a browser and go to 192.168.1.254 If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) You should come to a page with information about your connection, click 'Advanced Settings' at the top and it will ask you to sign in with a Password. This is located on the back of your router under 'Admin Password'

3) Select the option for 'Wireless' followed by '5 GHz Wireless'.

4a) To split up the frequencies:
What we want to do to begin with is turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' and update the SSID to be different. The easiest way would be to add '-5G' to the end so it is identified as its own connection.

4b) To disable the 5Ghz frequency:
On this page you'' need to turn 'Sync with 2.4 GHz Wireless' to 'No' followed by turning 'Wireless network enable' to 'No' also. If worked after pressing 'Apply' a wifi red light should appear on the router and the 2.4Ghz standard wireless channel still showing available on your devices. -Owen

pk86
Hooked

That’s because after testing a few days ago I put them back to the previous setting. Which is why it’s set to auto again. I could see from previous posts this was something first to investigate

Can confirm the buzzing occurs when either band is switched off.

It’s only started doing this recently
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @pk86,

I'm afraid that the only procedure we currently have in place is to disable the 5Ghz frequency. We have been reassured by the manufacturer that it does not affect performance. As soon as we get any further detail passed across on how to counteract this we will be making it known via our regular support platforms.

If you have a router from an old service provider we can talk you through setting that up to be used on our connection, so long as it is not locked.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
pk86
Hooked

I already stated previously I switched off 5Ghz (and 2.4Ghz) and the problem still occurs.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @pk86,

This issue has previously been raised to the vendor and they advised that the noise is within acceptable limits.

As the wireless connection is being lost, could you change the wireless channel by following the guide to get to the advanced settings. You will need to change this for both the 2.4GHz / 5GHz frequency bands.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
pk86
Hooked

So a loud sudden buzzing noise when the wifi is off is acceptable? How come?

I tried changing channels - this has no effect. Generally disconnecting the device and reconnecting seems to do the trick. But this isn't an ideal solution.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @pk86,

Our vendor Sagemcom have informed us that it's within acceptable limits, I'm afraid I don't have any more information to share on their findings.

Could you try factory resetting the router by holding a pin or paper clip in the reset hole on the back until the power light goes green. Once complete, allow up to 15 minutes for the service to reconnect. Along side this, if you have the router power connected to a power adapter please try connecting it directly to the wall power socket.

Once complete, firstly listen for the noise reoccurring then test your wireless connectivity again.

Do you have anything electronic near the router such as cordless house phones, baby monitors, Bluetooth devices or microwaves? If you do, please turn them off temporarily to see if the issue persists.

Thanks again.

Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
pk86
Hooked

“Our vendor Sagemcom have informed us that it's within acceptable limits, I'm afraid I don't have any more information to share on their findings.”

How can you say this when you haven’t even heard it? 😞
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

As you've said that the noise occurs when WiFi has been switched off and the reports we normally get regarding the noise is resolved when switching off the 5GHz frequency, I'd be happy to send you a replacement router.

Could you first confirm whether you've tried a factory reset as it's possible this may ultimately resolve the issue without needing to deem your router materially faulty and ordering a replacement.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
pk86
Hooked

Hi thanks for replying professionally. I thought I was getting fobbed off then.

I did a reset just now. Can confirm the issue still occurs.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've placed the order for a replacement router to be sent out on this occasion.

Let us know how it goes once you've received it which should be within the next few days. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet