cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Woes - 82U / 86U / 68U

FIXED
WiFiOverkill

Router Woes - 82U / 86U / 68U

So I've been a happy Plusnet customer for some time with my Home hub one and a cheap extender upstairs. I've mainly been playing games and have been happy with my pings and speed ~70D / ~18U / ~8ms. Recently we've been having increasing drop out's, slow buffering and having to reboot the router often. I tried seperating the bands and nothing helped (we've substantially increased the smart devices in our home)

I bought an Asus dsl-ac68u, and everything was great! Same speeds, perfect WiFi coverage no more drop-outs, QOS etc... Then 3 days later I lose about 10D, 2U and my ping is ~18. I check and I'm interleaved (interleave depth 4000+). 

I read about how bad the modem is on the 68u and sent it back. I get the 82u instead. Interleaving is still on but the depth was instantly less, 1403. It's been 7 days and still no change, ping still ~18ms.

So now I'm thinking of getting a separate modem, but the options seem quite limited. BT ECI, Vigor 130 (OOS everywhere) or the BT Huawei modem.

If I'm going to get a separate modem I may aswell get the ax86u as it's not much more expensive and has much better hardware.

Argghh. I just want something that works, according to plusnet my cab is Lantiq, so I would want the ECI but there would be no DSL stats. or the Vigor 130 which seem impossible to get atm. Is there a better option? Will interleaving stop eventually on the AX82u?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

6 REPLIES 6
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Router Woes - 82U / 86U / 68U

Hi
I suspect some paitence is required.
From https://uktechhub.com/forums/topic/asus-new-dsl-ax82u-modem-router-combo-wifi-6/
It seems like the ASUS dsl-ax82u has a broadcom dsl chip. They are good and work with either fibre cab (ECI or Huawei)
I am guessing but using the dreadful MediaTek modem in the ASUS 86u has probably resulted in your line being banded.
Hopefully a PN staff member will be along and can provide a GEA test to confirm the line status.
If the new router and line combination has low error rates, then PN should be able to request a DLM reset.
Regards
Richard
WiFiOverkill

Thanks for your reply. I've talked to several PlusNet technical support people with a variety of responses… Including one guy who told be to change my WiFi channel. 2-3 people have said that they have turned off interleaving and to wait 24h, no change.

Is there someone specific I can ask on here? Is there something specific I can say to technical support? There’s still no change and my return window is closing ☹

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

As @RichardB  has already said, soght of a GEA test would be good, as wood a Radius connection graph.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Fix

Hi @WiFiOverkill

Looks like the bulk of the issues here are probably being caused by the internal setup / WIFI connection. Tests on your line from our end are not showing any issues with the line, although interleaving is currently set to "low. Unlike ADSL services, we aren't able to make changes to the DLM profile when it comes to interleaving. It'll be adjusted automatically based on the performance of the line itself. I'll pop my GEA and radius graph onto this post for your reference.

Our radius graph shows one drop out, other than that though, things look pretty decent from our end.

KBD
GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID  

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 71.7 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 315.2
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed on Weekends
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From19:15to21:45
Interference Location Customer Premise
Interference Observed In Days 0
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-07-31T12:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 69.2 Mbps 79.9 Mbps 72.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 450.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 898.5 Sec
Retrains 0.0 4.0 0.0

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
WiFiOverkill

It went back to fast path today! guess i was just impatient.... thanks for all your help Smiley Smiley Smiley

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Glad to hear that things appear to be sorted @WiFiOverkill Smiley

Give us a shout if you have any further issues / queries at all.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds