cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router WiFi signal

jackwaller30

Router WiFi signal

Hi There, 

I've had a problem with my WiFi signal for quite a while now. I live in a small cottage so not a large space for a router to cover. I always lose signal when moving from the lounge (where the router is placed) and the kitchen which is around 2 meters. I have a similar loss of signal when I go upstairs.  

I've looked at the Troubleshooting guide for poor WiFi signal, but can't help think it might be a problem with the router, I've never had this issue before with any other providers. 

Any suggestions to do any further troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Routefinder
Grafter

Re: Router WiFi signal

Hi

Can I ask what type of construction the cottage?  Th reason I ask is that it is not necessarily the size of the property but also the materials it is built from/of.

For example, if it has thick solid stone walls then that may be a contributing issue.

If you have an Android phone you could install this WiFi analyser https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB stating the obvious, you need to access the Google Play Store and find it there.

I find it great for checking WiFi channels and signal strengths as I go from room to room or even in the garden Wink  I have found, so far, the Hub One supplied by PN to reasonable for signal strength.

HTH a bit Smiley

jackwaller30

Thanks for getting back to me. Most of the walls are pretty thin, although the kitchen and room upstairs where the signal is worse is part of an extension, so I think the dividing walls for those are the original outside walls. They definitely seem thicker. 

I downloaded WiFi analyser which definitely confirms what I'm experiencing, the lower signal strength in the rooms mentioned. So can you change the channels on the router to see if the signal is stronger?

Thanks again!

Routefinder
Grafter

I am pleased you found the WiFi Analyser useful ~ IMO a nice & worthwhile app to have on the phone Smiley

Most routers including the Hub One allow for manual selection of the WiFi channels, so yes you should be able to experiment IMO and see which ones work best in your environment.

AFAIK the 2.4Ghz frequency might be the initial choice based on frequency as its range is better than the 5Ghz one.

There are other pages like this one but perhaps this will give you a good general insight into choice of frequency and which channel(s) choice(s) make best sense.

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/wifi-optimisation

PS anything I say, I am always open to correcting anything I may have misunderstood Wink