Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router WiFi Problems

Christian1979
Dabbler

Router WiFi Problems

Hello,

I've been on plusnet for about 6 weeks with a fibre unlimited connection. I'm consistently having router wifi problems. The broadband connection is stable and anything connected to the router by ethernet has no issues. Anything in my home on wifi however, seems to lose connection randomly, on a frequency of about once every two days.

The symptom is that every wifi device loses the connection entirely and can't connect - I've got multiple wifi connected devices that all go offline at the same time. If I try and find the router and connect manually, I then get a 'incorrect password' response. On other occasions, the devices stay connected but grind to a halt...webpages just won't load etc. Meanwhile, the ethernet connected devices are uneffected.

By resetting the router using the button on the top, everything goes back to normal and wifi is fine.

Any ideas what is going on? Should I just buy a new router or add a google wifi unit?

Thanks. 

84 REPLIES 84
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: Router WiFi Problems

Hi @Christian1979

Thanks for getting in touch - sorry to hear of your wifi issues.

Could you confirm that you've undertaken the steps details here and here?

Best wishes

Dave

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Hmm, 6 weeks, wifi problems, ethernet no issues, (wifi) lose connection randomly, every wifi device loses the connection entirely and can't connect, 'incorrect password' response, grind to a halt.

Well, if the links provided above do not fix the issues you're facing, then my only other suggestion is to check (I assume you're using) your Plusnet Hub One's current firmware - http://192.168.1.254 and go to the bottom of any page.

It will give the firmware you're on and the possibly the date it was installed.

If you're not using a Plusnet Hub One, then please ignore this reply Wink

Christian1979
Dabbler

Firmware was updated 27/2/19 so I assume is the latest.

Ive just selected the option for the router to scan for the best channel again...will see what happens in the next couple of days. If it happens again after that, I’ll check for definite that it isn’t a particular channel/frequency that is going down as opposed to the full Wi-fi.

If not, I might just invest in google Wi-fi...it’s a good excuse and I need to extend the range a bit as it doesn’t fully reach the whole house.

DS
Seasoned Champion

But does it end in 259 or 263?

259 did introduce some issues with certain devices

263 was designed to overcome the issues of 259, but it might not be quite doing what it's supposed to do.....

Christian1979
Dabbler

Just checked, I’m on 263.

The wi-fi stopped working this morning, less than 24 hours after the last time. I’ve actually found that the devices that connect to 2.4Ghz are ok, it’s just the 5Ghz devices and all my iphones/ipad/computer. By using an ethernet connected machine, I can see that all these devices go for the 5Ghz when they connect.

I tried changing the 5Ghz channel but it didn’t help then went back to automatic selection which it selects 48. If I disable 5Ghz completely and force everything to 2.4Ghz, it works.

If I then re-enable 5Ghz, and disconnect the iphone and reconnect to 5Ghz it’s still not working, only a router reset unblocks the 5Ghz frequency.

Any ideas? I really want to avoid splitting the frequencies because it will mean half the house is on a different connection to the other.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Just checked, I’m on 263

Erm, ok...

The wi-fi stopped working this morning, less than 24 hours after the last time. I’ve actually found that the devices that connect to 2.4Ghz are ok, it’s just the 5Ghz devices and all my iphones/ipad/computer. By using an ethernet connected machine, I can see that all these devices go for the 5Ghz when they connect

You're luck then (imo). My 2.4 and 5GHz devices started to drop on 263.

I actually discovered the 5GHz devices would connect at 100Mbps (to the router) and then immediately drop to 6Mbps. This was odd and this happened on version 259 and 263 - I've posted the 'evidence' up somewhere on these forums.

I tried changing the 5Ghz channel but it didn’t help then went back to automatic selection which it selects 48. If I disable 5Ghz completely and force everything to 2.4Ghz, it works.

Unless there's a few other routers near you with 5GHz capabilities, then I don't think you'll fix it.

As you've discovered, dropping 5GHz and (luckily) connecting to 2.4GHz, yours work.

If I then re-enable 5Ghz, and disconnect the iphone and reconnect to 5Ghz it’s still not working, only a router reset unblocks the 5Ghz frequency.

I tried every trick I now, I could not fix the issues that 263 seem to have introduced.

Any ideas? I really want to avoid splitting the frequencies because it will mean half the house is on a different connection to the other.

Well, 5GHz gives a faster speed to the router, when you're close to it, but 2.4GHz reaches much further.

Your 5GHz devices are more than likely (ignoring the 263) dropping as a result of being a bit too far away from the router. I found that at only 6 metres from the routers location, mine would lose the full speed to the router.

Don't confuse connection speed to the router and connection speed to the www.

Splitting is actually a good thing, as devices out of sight of the router can be bouncing from 2.4 to 5, more than you may realize.

Or, you could opt for turning off the 5GHz altogether (you'd need tape on the light), then see how it goes.

Yes I know it's not what you want, but it may overcome the issues you have;)

Christian1979
Dabbler

DS - thanks for your help...really useful.

I’ve ruled out it being the distance to the router because my google home max speakers are sat in the same room as the router within 1m, preferring to connect on 5Ghz and they drop when the 5 GHz goes down.

If I just get rid of the 5Ghz completely and leave it as a 2.4Ghz network, do you think I’ll notice any drop in speed? My high bandwidth devices (youview/tv/Apple TV) are all connected by Ethernet. It’s only really my computers that I connect using wireless. I’m kind of confused whether a 2.4Ghz Wi-fi acts as a bottleneck for internet speeds.

DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem @Christian1979 Smiley

Well, my thorough 'testing' was at roughly 2 metres from the router.

The 5GHz 'blip' was at 2 metres - my device was showing a connection speed of 433Mbps to the router, but the router was showing a max of 100Mbps, but as I mentioned, this would immediately drop (as seen on the router) to 6Mbps. This was there before the 263 update and continued once 263 was up and running.

No, I don't think you'll actually see much difference - probably the blink of an eye slower - based on my testing. As I pointed out earlier, the speed to the router and the speed to the www are two entirely different things. But please bear in mind, my issues occured on both 2.4 and 5. There are others out there also seeing the same as me. The PN hub resident guru @bobpullen is aware of these recent issues and is actively trying to replicate this issue.

In fact, you may as well complete this 'survey':

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?
  2. When did the problem start?
  3. What firmware version is the router running and when was it last updated?
  4. What devices are on the local network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?
  5. How is the network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?
  6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known).
  7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?
  8. Has ta factory reset been tried? (if not, please try this)
  9. Are you willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue? Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove the situation

If you want to of course;). Just go 1 <answer> and so on

Regarding what devices are connecting to the router by all methods, the only bottleneck I'd expect to see if when all of you try and use high demand (gaming, Netflix, Skype etc) at the same time. I really can't see all of them being on 2.4GHz is going to matter Wink

DS
Seasoned Champion

Also, to add.

My issues with 263 began to show themselves after the software had been installed for roughly 3 days.

If you get more than 3 days before you see issues, then you might not be having the same issues as some of us.

You'll know if you do, because any wifi connected device will either slow down, disconnect or even fail to connect to the router.

The 'get out of jail' is to use ethernet and report it on here as soon as possible, if you start to see the same.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Christian1979,  I'm sorry that you are experiencing some Wireless issues.

You may notice a slight drop in your speed by solely using 2.4GHz as 5GHz has the stronger connection (though is only for closer range to the router). Does the issue with 5GHz affect all devices? Do you notice it only drops when a certain device is connected?

I've had a look at your connection and there does seem to have been some drops off (see below), do these coincide with the drops you are seeing or are these from you rebooting the router?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Christian1979
Dabbler

Hi @LaurenB,

Those drops look like they are caused by me resetting the router (by pressing and holding the top reset button) to kickstart the 5Ghz connection back into life. I’m pretty sure the actual broadband connection is solid because the router stays connected and the wired and 2.4Ghz connections remain good. Each reset though, gives you an idea of the frequency I experience this issue.

I can’t pin it down to a rogue device. All my devices are fine then every once in a while they all fail on the 5Ghz.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for confirming @Christian1979

So we can get this flagged to our Products Team, can you please advise of the following (I'm sorry for all the questions, it's just so we have as much info as possible):

- Do you have any powerline adapters or wireless extenders/ access points connected?

- Have you had this issue since joining 6 weeks ago or can you pin point when it started?

-  What devices do you have connected and what software version are they on?

If needed, would you be OK with the firmware being backdated if needed to help diagnose the issue (please note this would wipe settings back to default)?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Christian1979
Dabbler

@LaurenB

Annoyingly, it’s happened twice in a day now and I’ve had to reset the router again.

1. No powerline adapters or extenders or access points, just the router.
2. I’ve only been on plusnet since moving in on 26 February and I’ve had this intermittent wi-fi problem from the start. Every disconnection you see on the radius chart will be from me manually resetting the router. This will give you an idea of the frequency.
3. I have the following connections:

Ethernet

Philips Hue Bridge
LG TV
Apple TV

2.4Ghz Wireless

Sony X-88 Speaker
Logitech Harmony Hub
clever dog IP camera x2
Google Home Hub

5Ghz Wireless

Clever Dog IP camera
Google Home Mini x2
Google Home Max speaker x2
ipad (occasional)
iphone (occasional)
macbook (occasional)

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Thanks @Christian1979 

Could you just confirm if you are happy with us backdating your firmware for diagnostic purposes as @LaurenB asked above? 

Please note, this will reset all settings to default. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR