Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router/WIFI Options

Root1
Hooked

Router/WIFI Options

Hi Guys

I would really appreciate any suggestions and advice regarding Router/WIFI options.  I am migrating to Plusnet next week (Unlimited Fibre Extra).  I have my activation date and have just received my Hub One through the post.  I am migrating in from Sky Q Fibre and was with BT Fibre prior to that.

I have read that the Hub One is an okay router but its WIFI performance can be bettered.  I am looking at my options for buying my own CPE (Router/WIFI equipment).  I have budget of around £300 and want to set up a very reliable and future-proofed network that covers both floors of my 1500sq/foot house.  I use around 6 devices via WIFI.

I have a BT Smart Hub 6 (Home version) that was given to me by BT before I moved to Sky.  I have tested it still works (checked the WIFI signal) but the signal strength around the house is not as quite good as the Sky Q hub device.

Any suggestions on building a new setup would be greatly appreciated.  I want to achieve excellent reliability and very, very good coverage within my house and put in place something last should be usable for 3 years without requiring upgrade (bearing in mind FTTP could happen).

Thanks

Robert

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Router/WIFI Options

@Root1  Welcome to the forum.

I would use either the Hub One or Smarthub, whichever colour you prefer, with the WiFi switched off. Connect this to a BT mesh system, see. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/BT-Whole-Home-Wifi-with-PN/m-p/1652505...

This should future proof you for the forseeable future as it can also be used if you upgrade to FTTP.

Probably not required but for guaranteed best possible performance use them with an Ethernet backhaul.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Root1
Hooked

Thanks for the welcome and the advice Baldrik.

I have just ordered a 3 disk solution (AC2600) from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-seamless-connection-everywhere-complete/dp/B01NBMMVG7/

I'm not too worried about whether I use the Plusnet Hub One or the BT Smart Hub 6 but I think the BT Smart Hub will go down better with the wife (in terms of its appearance).  The white is a bit 'in your face'.

Will report back on performance in due course.  I guess I can test the AC2600 out with my existing Sky Q in the meantime but don't want to confuse it when I switch over to Plusnet in a week or two???

Root1
Hooked

Just one related question.  When I set up my Plusnet account I chose a complex password in the form - Password1234$

If I use the BT Smart hub 6 will the complex password be an issue?  I read somewhere that the BT Smarthub 6 doesn't like complex form (special characters - &%$ etc) passwords?

Baldrick1

@Root1 

Some firmware versions don't like special characters in passwords. Either way it's simple enough to log into your Plusnet account and change it to just alpha numeric characters. Ignore messages telling you to use a special character, they are not needed for the new password to be accepted.

The mesh units just plug in to a LAN socket on a hub. It doesn't care whether the hub is connected to Sky or Plusnet, no configuration changes should be requied when you swap over.

Moderator and Customer

Root1
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick

Okay sorted the password.  The great thing about these BT gadgets are that they should just plug into whatever hub I have and so in future if I upgrade the FTTP or another ISP I should be okay.  The 3 year warranty sealed the deal TBH.

So all I need to do is turn off the WIFI in the main Router/Hub correct?  Do I need to mess about with the different bands or are they both switched on as standard? How does the BT kit know what my wireless settings are by the way (SSID and password etc) in order for it to propagate them?

Think they have app too, to see what's going on, on my new wireless network.

Baldrick1

@Root1 

You just go into the Smarthub wireless setting and select off for each band. I assume that the mesh units come with their own SSID and password so you don't use the hub ones. This is how all access points work. The exception is if the hub wireless is part of the network as in the new Smarthub 2 works but that's a different arrangement .

Moderator and Customer

Root1
Hooked

Thanks Baldrick.  Will give it a whirl when the BT kit arrives from Prime.

I currently have a Gigabit switch connected to my existing router/hub and so I guess once I turn off all WIFI on the existing router/hub the new BT equipment could just plug into the switch like my other PCs do?

I have read somewhere that certain WAP's don't work with the Hub One and BT Smarthub (home) as the don't offer a "bridge mode" whatever that is (hopefully that shouldn't concern me anyway).  I want to keep things as simple as I can.

Cheers

Rob

Baldrick1

@Root1 

Yes you can just plug it into your switch if you prefer.

All WAPs work with a Plusnet Hub with no issues. You are being confused by some of these mesh units having a built in router. In these cases you need a separate modem as the Hub One can't be used in modem only mode OR set the mesh units up as a WAP.

These BT units do not have a built in router so work as WAPs straight out of the box.

Moderator and Customer

Root1
Hooked

Just to feedback.

I got the BT Whole Home WI-FI 3 disc pack and have been using it for 2 weeks.  I am delighted with the build quality of the hardware and its WI-FI performance.  I am seeing 886 Mbps throughout the house (all rooms).  Setup was a breeze with the BT APP.  Highly recommended (Cost £169.99 on Amazon).

Thanks for the help and advice.  Switching over to Plusnet on this Thursday!!!