cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Reboots at Will

ericwbriggs

Router Reboots at Will

My first router developed a buzzing noise, this one has decided that it will reboot when it feels like it. This is most annoying when trying to stream a movie on Netflix etc.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): All caps title/text edited as per Forum rules.

4 REPLIES 4
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: ROUTER REBOOTS AT WILL

Hi Eric,

Thanks for getting in touch.

You can view the last seven days of your connection here.

As you can see there have been a significant number of physical drops today but everything prior to today's date seems fine.

I've tested your line and no external faults are present or being detected.

When the router "reboots" what physically happens with the light on the front?

If you reconnect the previous router (if you still have it) do the drops continue (I'd expect them to if the issue is with your line/connection rather than the router).

Let me know

Thanks

Dave

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ericwbriggs

Thanks for the response. We have been away from 29/1 till 15/02 and prior to going away the router had been playing up but I left it till our return. On arriving back I switched on PC and the router rebooted itself this was between 00.30 and 1.00 am and persisted throughout the day. The lights are orange before turning blue. The old router was returned as per your instructions.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @ericwbriggs, sorry to hear you're having connection issues. There's certainly something out of place somewhere given the numerous drops we are seeing with your connection yesterday as seen by the graph below, although our tests aren't picking up exactly what's causing the issue so we will have to do some troubleshooting to start ruling things out. I'd also recommend monitoring the connection over the next few days before beginning troubleshooting as currently today there's been no further drops.

Connection drops: http://visualradius.plus.net/visualradius/generated/image15503301204149.png

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the face plate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault. Let us know how it goes.