cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router PlusNet hubOne noise

mrlittle

Router PlusNet hubOne noise

Since joining Fiber I have had a problem with hissing sounds from the router. Plusnet have sent a replacement which is no different. (A third is in its way) This article relates to a different brand of router but basically describes the problem. For anyone else with the same issue of noise from the router it’s annoying but apparently not dangerous. http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/hissing.htm
Some posts suggest disabling 5ghz, this made no difference but I have noticed s great improvement in stability of signal on mobile devices. I personally have chosen to leave 5ghz enable but a sign it a different SSID and passkey
The noise is lessened but not eliminated if you are able to use a wired connection particularly for heavy traffic such as video streaming.
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Router PlusNet hubOne noise

Moderators Note.
Moved to my router from feedback
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mrlittle

Quick update — 3rd router arrived. Certainly the loudest of the bunch this one hisses like an angry cat. I can only draw the conclusion that the hub one is in fact cheap and nasty and to be avoided.
Plusnet have been obliging but if that’s all they have to offer, it’s a shame as otherwise I have been pleased with Plusnet over the last few years.
turbotippy
Dabbler

I only use my Hub One as a modem currently so can't comment on its hissing, but I have an Asus DSL-N66U sat next to it that works as DHCP server and an 11n wifi router and that hisses during a download. If I run a speed test, even over lan it goes bonkers hissing. I know this particular router isn't the best of quality (the ASUS) but is has been reliable. I won't use it on the VDSL connection, ooooh no, its never been good at that.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@mrlittle wrote:
Quick update — 3rd router arrived. Certainly the loudest of the bunch this one hisses like an angry cat. I can only draw the conclusion that the hub one is in fact cheap and nasty and to be avoided. 

The vast majority do not report this problem, and I'm certainly yet to witness it myself. I'm keen to get some of these units back to the office for me to take a look at. Happy to apply a credit to your account to cover the postage if you're able to oblige?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mrlittle

Thanks Bob, have one packed up and awaiting returns bag for second which I believe C/S put in post Saturday. Only not sure how Plusnet will identify the returns as coming from me. I will put a nite on the router boxes to explain.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The returns package won't get to me. If it's not too much trouble send it to our HQ marked for my attention and a reference containing your Community username or something similar:-

Plusnet
The Balance
2 Pinfold Street
Sheffield
S1 2GU

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

mrlittle

Hi Bob.
Routers are in the courier locker, so should reach you by Thursday. I have put your name o the address label & a note inside the packet.
Postage was only £6 regards mark.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers Mark. I've sent a refund of £6 back to you now which you should see within 3-5 working days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@mrlittle, thanks - I think they've just turned up Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team