cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Performance Figures - how to compare throughput

JohnFol1
Grafter

Router Performance Figures - how to compare throughput

My guess is the "Plusnet Hub One" is perfectly fine for typical home usage. There comes a point where it'll struggle and my 2nd guess is I'll see drop outs, intermittent connections and so on.

I'm looking for something that tells me about it's capabilities, i.e. number of connections / packets / CPU / memory / throughput or whatever the right metric is. Every time I look for router performance comparisons all I get is wifi this, 802.3 that. I'm not interested in wi-fi, I'm after supporting ~20+ devices

So if I want to upgrade to get more capacity / throughput what do I look for?

8 REPLIES 8
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Router Performance Figures - how to compare throughput

The Hub One is more than capable for 20+ devices and it’s the router that’s provided for business services.

If you have throughput issues I suspect it may be because you’re trying to do more than your line can handle.

What’s your sync speed?

JohnFol1
Grafter

sync speed 55.68 Mbps however BT suggest it has the potential for higer

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Your line should be giving you better speeds. Do you have a filtered master socket, or are you using a dngly filter?

Is the line quiet, dial 17070 option 1?

JohnFol1
Grafter

That's my thought however all I get is "the speed is above the minimum guaranteed speed. "

No phone connected (we all use mobiles) but last time I checked all was quiet I will try again though to see if things have changed. 

As for master socket? Yes it's a filtered socket but on a long run from entry point. Typically you would see then a few metres from where the cable comes in however ours is about 10m of cable. Tempted to replace with Cat5 but ruling out the router / speeds / packet loss / latency is more the stuff I can do from the desk!

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It may well be, but a short cable between router and master socket produces higher speeds!

If I understand your setup correctly, try the router in the test socket with a short cable, and compare sync and attainable speeds from both positions. You will soon find out if you can improve speeds.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I've been looking into this for you, testing your line isn't showing any issues and while your speeds are above the minimum guaranteed, they're below the estimated speed range for your line so there does seem to be a problem somewhere. Your line should be able to achieve a speed of between 61.3mbps and 80mbps. 

This relatively small drop in sync speed I wouldn't expect to be causing much of an issue, but this may be a side-effect of a problem that's also causing the other issues you're seeing. 

Try plugging your router into the test socket using a short cable and retest. Once you've checked things out your side, if there are still issues it may be worth arranging an engineer visit to investigate further. 

I've updated the ticket on your account Here so if you'd want an engineer just let us know by responding to the ticket and then post back here so we can get that picked up for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JohnFol1
Grafter

Sorry, my description was not as clear as it could be. Router to master socket is <1m using supplied Cat5. However master socket to outside wall is ~10m with 30+ year old BT wire. I can check where the internal wiring meets the external wiring but recall it to be no more than wires using the insertion tool into shared "crimp" rather than a socket.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah OK. I's probably worth arranging an engineer to check Openreach's side of things out.

Can you reply to the ticket with when you'd be available and post back afterwards?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet