cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Noise!

tj_bennett12

Router Noise!

Hi all,
When being used, my Plusnet router makes a horrible buzzing sound. I have tried a hard and soft reset and nothing will remedy it: it seems a common problem, anyone have a fix?
Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Router Noise!

Hi @tj_bennett12 

What model of router do you have and do you know approximately how old it is?

Sounds like it could be faulty, and I have read about these problems before on these forums.

PlusNet may send you out a replacement router and a returns bag for the old one.

This is for them to decide though, so hopefully a member of staff will pick this up.

tj_bennett12

It’s a Plusnet Hub One, only a week or two old. It’s been doing it since I’ve plugged it in. Thanks for the info!
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@tj_bennett12  Welcome to the forum.

If you have a Hub One then Plusnet will tell you that this is a 'feature', is 'within limits' and it will improve if you switch off the 5GHz wireless band.

If it"s annoying you then go onto an auction site such as Ebay and pay little money for a BT Smarthub 6. Apart from having better and more stable WiFi performance they are silent. You will find setting instructions pinned at the top of this router board.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @Baldrick1 

That what my sister uses, and the Hub One is in the front room where her and my niece often watch the TV.

If ours buzzed I would definitely getting complaints and I would know about it!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Alex 

I believe that it is caused by capacitors which can make a noise when passing ac signals. it depends on their type and casing, some types/makes can go noisy at any rime in their lifetime, or never. It can also vary between one manufacturer/batch and another.

In a previous life I was involved in the development of high power inverters and we had to wear ear defenders due to the noise that these and wound components made.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Alex
Community Veteran

Fair enough @Baldrick1 

My dad used to be a TV engineer fixing the broken ones back in the day when TV's were really expensive and you didn't just chuck them if they go wrong like you do now.

I remember when a much younger me had to travel on a 20 min bus journey and back to ask for a specific chip. Managed to do that fine. Was a bit nervous as I didn't have a clue what I was doing. Story of my life.

I should have taken more of an interest than what I did.

So the house was full of TV's, my dad was repairing.

Anyone remember valves? I remember we used an older TV and it took 10 minutes for them to warm up.

I remember touching the outside of a tube and got an unpleasant electric shock.

"Those were the days of our lives" as Queen once said. 😁

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

The curse of the Hub One 5G WiFi noise lives on over the years it seems 😉