cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Noise and Drops

HMR81

Router Noise and Drops

Morning all, Over the past two months the router has started making a loud(at times, quiet but noticeable the rest of the time). It also periodically drops WIFI connections to mobile devices and amazon fire stick. 

I have been through the forums and followed some advice but the problem still persists. Any ideas?

p.s. the steps I have followed are;

Disabled 5Ghz

Reset Router and disabled 5Ghz again, problem still exists. 

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Router Noise and Drops

@HMR81  Welcome to the forum.

You may be able to improve the wireless drops by separating the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840

If the router is noisy on the 2.4GHz band when 5GHz is turned off Plusnet may replace it but the stock answer to the noise these thing make tends to be a polite version of 'hard luck you'll have to live with it'.

You could of course join many of us; dump the Hub One and get a BT Smarthub 6. They can be picked up these days on the likes of Ebay for less than £20. Setting instructions are here https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HMR81

Thanks for the info. I will try separating the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands tonight. I might even have a BT hub laying around as i was on BT before so if that fails i might try that. 

Shame Plusnet's answer will be "jog on", So looks like i'll be switching again in the new year.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Whether you move on is obviously your choice but do compare the cost and hassle of moving against just changing the router for a cheap and available alternative. Plusnet is a budget provider and unfortunately bundles a budget router. The Hub One is in fact a tweeked, obsolete, BT Home Hub 5A.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

HMR81

I moved away from BT because line speeds were inconsistent and plusnet has been great in that respect, rock steady. I recognised the rebadged router when i unboxed it. Its not a hassle to switch, and zero cost to do so. i'll just look at the deals available at the time. I understand plusnet is a budget provider but if you supply equipment you should always offer at least a year warranty on hardware and these are clearly defective and not up to the job. Yes i could install a new router but why should I have to is kind of where i stand on the issue. I've got various routers at home(I work in IT) so i might try one of those if i decide to do it, as i was never a huge fan of the BT router anyway.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting in touch @HMR81

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your router.

We can certainly look at sending you a new router but as mentioned above we can't guarantee that it won't have the same issue.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team