Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Dying?

FIXED
Thedoctor1701
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Router Dying?

Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

I need help.

I have a Plusnet Hub One and until recently its been relatively ok (signal strength could be better, but not a biggie), i run a gaming pc via "Power line" plugs and Ethernet cables, that too has been absolutely fine. 

Now from the start of last week, my speed has dropped from a wonderful 25-30mbps to barely 1mbps.

i thought it was my pc, i ran multiple virus and malware checks and found nothing (its actually a month old install of Windows 10).

Plusnet tested the line last week and said everything was fine...so i did the old power cycle, turned the router off for 20 mins and went for a tea and a cry.

Came back, turned on the router and BAM! back to normal.

Or so i thought.

Ive had to power cycle the darn thing 3 times again this week and ive come home to a slower that treacle speed, again and power cycling does seem to work this time.

Im at my wits end.

can i get a replacement router from PN?

Would a 3rd party one work or is there a lock on the line for PN only hardware?

im at a complete loss and my blood is beginning to boil.

Help!

7 REPLIES 7
Thedoctor1701
Hooked

Re: Router Dying?

i forgot to add; i have 2 smart tvs and a few wireless devices and they all suffer too, so im convinced that its not my hardware, rather the router that to blame.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Thedoctor1701,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've run into these issues. I've tested your line tonight and I can see that everything appears to working as expected from our end of things, with you currently receiving a downstream sync speed of 35Mbps. When you're running speedtests on your end of things, are you running them via a direct Ethernet connection to the router, or are these being run via an Ethernet connection via a Powerline Adapter?

It's important to note at this stage that we wouldn't typically expect routers to be the cause of the issues that you're reporting and based off of what you've said I doubt that replacing the router will resolve the issue. With that being said, 3rd party routers are compatible on our network and only need the authentication settings to get up and running. For reference, these would be the PPP Username (yourusername@plusdsl.net) and the PPP Password (Your account password). I should also add that if you do setup a 3rd party router, we won't be able to directly support it as staff, but there are already a whole bunch of threads here on the forums relating to 3rd party router configurations and the other members of the forums are always willing to lend a helping hand if they come across a thread they may have something to contribute to.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Thedoctor1701
Hooked

Hello, and thanks for getting back to me.

My pc is connected to the router Via PowerPoint adaptors as the router is too far from where the pc is situated to connect directly (and sadly the pc doesn't have WiFi).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Does rebooting the PowerPoint adaptors whilst not touching the router make any difference?

If you have a laptop you could do a speedtest near the router using a piece of proper ethernet cable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi @Thedoctor1701

A couple more questions, You mention you are noticing the same poor performance on your smart TVs and other devices as well as your PC.

How are they connected? Do they use the power adapters or are they wireless/hard wired to the router?

When you're running a speed test and getting 1Mbps, have you got anything else connected/using the internet?

The main thing I would suggest, if only to temporarily troubleshoot, is to remove the powerline adapters from the equation entirely.

I know you mentioned your PC wasn't in a position to directly hard wire to the router. But could you try something hard wired directly into the router and see if the same poor performance occurs when directly wired to the router.

Thedoctor1701
Hooked

Fix

Hi all, 

My apologies for not replying back sooner, i really appreciate all your input.

just a little update...and i think i may have found the issue.

My powerline adaptor for the PC was plugged into a surge protector...apparently a big no no when it comes to using them.

I've since moved the adaptor to a standard socket aaaand....30Mbps!

Im going to keep an eye on it for the next few days (while eating my weight in chocolate) and see if i get a continuous speed, if i do then it just shows im an over cautious moron Smiley

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions everyone.