cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router DNS issue (Hub One)

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Router DNS issue (Hub One)

update your local machine to use different dns servers and not automatically whilst awaiting response, that should help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
KevH
Rising Star

Just to add to this tread if that is OK. I'm seeing quite a few web page loading issues, and seeing "Resolving Host" in the bottom left hand corner of the (Chrome) browser. Most times the error message on the page goes and the desired page loads. I'd like to try some different DNS servers (Google and CloudFare).

Is it not possible to change the DNS servers in the Plusnet Hub One router? I'm on software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 (Last updated 25/03/19).

I could manually change the PCs/Laptops but there are a large number of devices in the household inc. many mobile devices where I think the slow host resolution is manifesting itself in slow loading of video content on social media apps. I do recognise that with a big increase in home working things will be slower (line syncing at 80/20) and before lock down I didn't see this problem... 

One final question. I have a separate wireless AP where I can change the DNS settings. I assume if I do this (for example to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8) the DNS entry in the Hub One will be ignored? 

KevH
Rising Star

Bad form replying to my own post, but for the record I've changed the DNS servers on my work laptop, phone/tablet and sky box (all of which were using the PN DNS servers) to 1.1.1.1 primary and 8.8.8.8 secondary and there is clear evidence of much quicker responses to pages loading and embedded media also loading promptly (for esample video in Twitter). I've not seen a resolving host message since I made the change. The sky box used to say please wait when loading content for the home page. This now appears without delay.

Is it possible to change the default DNS settings in the One router so everybody else in the household can enjoy these improvements without having to manually add settings to each device?

dvorak

Sadly not, you'd need to get a different router to be able to do that.
Customer / Moderator
KevH
Rising Star

Thanks - BT Business Hub 6 by the looks of it then...

dvorak

that's what I'm using currently and working well.
Customer / Moderator
jonoe84

Just to add that I too am experiencing the same issues with DNS resolution delaying web pages loading etc.

I have turned off DHCP on my Hub One and set this up on a Raspberry Pi temporarily to allow me to set Google DNS servers for my devices and can confirm that there are no issues when using these alternative DNS servers.

Is there any indication as to when this may be resolved as its been almost a week I have experienced this issue now and I also raised this as a support question on the 22nd and there has been no update since that date.

LeeB1

Its definitely a plusnet issue.
If they could just release a firmware update to unlock the dns settings it would be great.

Or fix the problem of course.. its being going on for ages now. If I could call them I would.

Sad
LeeB1

Where is a food place to buy the solution to all my woes.. bt business hub 6!! Smiley
LeeB1

Where is a food place to buy the solution to all my woes.. bt business hub 6!! Smiley
Tags (1)
endfire

I have this exact same problem with my Hub One router, and I have had it since I signed up for Plusnet, over a year ago. The DNS just stops working completely at random points, and only a router reboot will restore it. Then it can work for hours or days, even a couple weeks, only to seize up again.

I've so far worked around it by hardcoding the DNS setting of my devices to use another third party DNS server, but it really is a hassle, especially since I use my laptop in other locations and I have to keep changing it back... Anyone visiting me can't benefit from this either. The last straw is that I've bought some stuff recently (internet radio, for example) that does not allow setting DNS, so it stops working randomly.

Is there any plan to investigate what the problem is and solve it? Do I have a dodgy router, is it worth changing it for another? I would really prefer not to have to buy my own router, mostly because I wouldn't know what to buy...

It's a shame because this is the only issue I've had as a plusnet customer, and I'd be happy to stay as a long term customer, and even would recommend it if it wasn't for this crippling issue.

kevinward65
Hooked

Hi, sorry to bother you I have been Plusnet customer for several years but just recently started to experience this DNS issue.

Can I ask did you ever get a fix from Plusnet?

KevH
Rising Star

I personally didn't get an update from PN but I didn't raise this formally as a problem. To solve the problem in the short term I manually changed DNS addresses on my network devices to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 which brought an immediate improvement in response times to the loading of pages and content. I then bought a raspberry pi and set that up to run as the home DHCP server with DNS set up as above (turning off the DHCP function in the PN router). 

The less complicated way to resolve the poor performance issue of the PN DNS servers is to replace the PN router with another device where you can manually change the DNS servers which will be used by the devices on your network. As others have said on this thread the BT Business Hub 6 is one way to go and they are available for sensible money on the likes of ebay.

I suspect waiting for a fix from PN will be a test of patience assuming they even acknowledge there is a problem.

endfire

Sorry mate, no, I never got any response, and the problem continued.

In the end, as I had many months left in my contract, and it is such an annoying problem, I did exactly the same as KevH above. I bought a cheap Raspberry Pi, installed PiHole and set it up with the DHCP/DNS server there. So every device that connects to my network gets the DNS configured to 8.8.8.8, overriding the PlusNet DHCP and DNS settings. It wasn't hard to do if you're comfortable faffing about with a bit of linux and router settings, there are lots of tutorials on how to do it.

A bit overkill maybe, but cheaper than buying a new router (plus the PiHole removes quite a few ads). When it comes to renewal, I might leave (probably to Sky, as I never had any problems with them in the past, but that might have been just luck). PlusNet was a few quid cheaper, and I've got decent speeds and few outages, but whatever money I saved I then wasted troubleshooting and fixing the problem myself (on the other hand, it works fine now...)

kevinward65
Hooked

@KevH and @endfire 

Thanks for the responses. I am probably capable of setting it up, but on principal do not think I should have to.

Plusnet has been cheaper and I have had good speeds and minimal problems for several years so not inclined to change ISP yet.

I have logged with Plusnet support but no help so far apart from pointing me at the forum.

My search for a solution continues....