cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router 2704n problems

Clare041

Router 2704n problems

Hi all,

I am having constant wireless connection issues with the 2704n router. I have been a plusnut customer since 2016 and not had problems before. From searching on the forum I can see it's may need an update or replacing. I am really out of my depth with all the info about how to improve the connection so any help would be very much appreciated! 

I am a teacher working from home and trying to conduct video conferencing with ongoing issues, very frustrating.

Please let me know if more info is required.

Clare 

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Router 2704n problems

Welcome to the forums, @Clare041 . Can you explain in a little more detail what the problems are, and how long they have been happening? BTW, I'm not one of the router 'gurus' on here, but if I can help...

John
Clare041

Hi Jab1,

Thanks for your speedy reply.

It’s the slow speed and dropping on/off of the wireless connection that’s the main problem for me.

I’ve moved the router, turned it on/off and reseted it repeatedly over the last few months. I’ve read on here about firmware updates but not sure if that is applicable. I’m cautious about attempting anything without any help as I don’t want to be without internet.

Thanks in advance.
jab1
Legend

OK Claire. This might be my last comment for tonight - got some other stuff to deal with before tomorrow.😉

If you have the 2704N, you must be on ADSL, which is not that fast unless you are close to the exchange, and if you are remote teaching with all that I understand that involves, you will struggle.

For general guidance, turning the router off/on is not recommended, without following the correct procedure - this will make the automatic equipment in the exchange think you have a problem and it will throttle your speed in an attempt to 'cure' the problem.

How technically minded are you, just so I can try and tailor my replies?

John
Clare041

Okay, I will refrain from turning it on/off!

I am not very near to the exchange so that makes sense. I will explore getting fibre but at the moment I hoped to try troubleshoot and hopefully get a reasonable improvement for these live lessons.

My connection was very unstable during video conferencing this morning and kept on freezing which was less than ideal. There seems to be a lot of flashing of lights in the router!

In regards to your response, I am reasonably technically minded but it is the lack of time that I have right now to Wade through the forum or sit on hold to plusnet.

jab1
Legend

Okay @Clare041 . In that case, and I and understand the time limitations, so I'll try and keep it all in one place and help as much as possible - hopefully saving you wading through the forums or waiting on the phone.

A good starting point is to have a look at This post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

There may be follow-up questions or other ideas as they occur to me, but if we can establish a starting point it will help,

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Clare041 

The question has to be whether this is a network problem, the known poor wireless performance of this hub or simply a capacity problem.
If you are video conferencing then the ADSL upload  bandwidth is going to be a major issue. Even on a good connection, that is you live very close to the exchange, this will not exceed 1 Mbps. Add to this the fact that this hub suffers badly with buffer bloat, which means that download speeds are screwed up if you have heavy uploads at the same time and you can see the problem.

You might improve the situation with a better router located correctly, that’s at the BT master socket location, but I suspect that your best plan if you want to video conference is to upgrade to fibre. Use this link to see what’s available to you. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'