cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrictions using Cisco VPN AnyConnect

IanSadler

Restrictions using Cisco VPN AnyConnect

@bobpullen Hi Bob, 

I am having issues with drop out and data corruption using my companies VPN Cisco client. I have seen you managed to help others with this issue regarding a static IP address. I've tried every setting in the router to try and fix (DMZ/port forwarding/Port clamping/firewall off/etc). Tried over Wifi and Hardwired, nothing seems to help. Online speedtest reports issues with the firewall. The computer I am using has no firewall active and the company assure me that the VPN and their ports are fully open. We have 6 other team members using the VPN without issue (no Plusnet users). 

I've called customer support who said they don't support VPN?

I'm hoping you can do the same fix as you did for @massive? Thank you

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Restrictions using Cisco VPN AnyConnect

If you have any connectivity to the VPN at all, then it's not going to be a firewall issue within our control. How are you accessing the VPN? Over Wi-Fi or a wired connection. If wireless, I would suggest you try wired to rule out wireless connectivity/packet loss as the source of the problem.

Static IP's have helped in the past where connectivity hasn't been possible at all, but even in most of those cases, the crux of the problem is likely to have sat with the remote party.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

IanSadler

Hi Bob, 

We have tried both Wired and wireless connections to no avail. We have other people using the same VPN software and hardware without issue. We have spoken to our IT department and they are saying our VPN is completely unrestricted. It seems odd that it is only affects me as a PlusNet customer. 

We download large files for our work, which initially started to download then stalls and times-out like something is blocking it. As previously mentioned there are no firewalls installed on my computer and trying the DMZ on the router does nothing except make it worse. If other people I work with are not having this issue then the fault can only be with the router and/or plusnet handling of whichever ports seem to be affected. 

Could we try a static IP to see if it would stabilise this issue? Many thanks. 

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@IanSadler, if the Plusnet firewall is not enabled on your account (which I don't believe it is), then there is nothing else at our side that would manipulate traffic actross certain ports.

A routing issue might exist somewhere but that would typically result in a complete inability to connect, rather than the problem you're reporting.

The party with the most visibility here are your corporate network admins as presumably they have access to logging that infers why your download attempt was terminated or the VPN tunnel torn down.

I have temporarily applied a static IP to your account to see if it helps regardless, as it does route your traffic across a different part of our network, and whilst it wouldn't point us towards what's causing the problem, it might help narrow it down. You will have noticed a short disconnection/reconnection.

PS. I would strongly suggest against putting a coporate machine in your DMZ as it completely opens it up to the Internet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

IanSadler

Hi Bob,

this seems to have improved the downloading of work from our system...

Although speedtest still throws a wobbly, I am only concerned that I can work without corruption issues.

We have tested a couple of jobs a few times and it most definitely has improved so fingers crossed it stays like this.

Thank you very much for your help concerning this, have a good weekend

Regards

Ian

IainGrant

Hi Bob,

I seem to be having a similar problem, would it be possible to be put on a static IP too?

cheers.

starkpp

Hi Bob,

I have I believe the same problem in that I can connect into work Cisco VPN but when I start downloading a large file at some point it will get interrupted and will never download.

If the static IP is a solution can you please supply one if that is possible

Regards

Paul Stark

Orwell
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi Ian,

Thank you for your message, and I am sorry to note the inconvenience.

So that I may assist you further, please message me your account username.

Best Wishes

- Ken

Ken Bryant
 Plusnet Help Team
starkpp

Hi Ken,

I am suffering from the same CISCO VPN problem and would like a static IP also if possible . Do you have a email address I can email you on with my username

Regards

Paul