Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Technicolor TG582n won't login with "admin" and [serial number]

FIXED
Cliff_g
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Reset Technicolor TG582n won't login with "admin" and [serial number]

Re.  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Technicolor-TG582n-not-starting/td-p/1584891  I have reset the router, both quick for ~7 secs to a green power light, and again for nearly 20 secs to a solid orange power light (bootloader self test) which then goes green.

Router will now talk over ethernet....

but after neither of these will the router respond to login of "admin" (no quotes) and the password as per the Serial Number underneath.  I have checked these very carefully, tried a O (letter) for an 0 (zero) on the only possible dubious digit.

Any ideas?  Have to confess I'm out of them

8 REPLIES 8
Cliff_g
Grafter

Re: Reset Technicolor TG582n won't login with "admin" and [serial number]

Also tried Administrator and serial no., blank password, password password, and some others. Got half an admin screen on one attempt (using admin/serialno) but the page didn't fully load and was non functional.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

I don't know if this old post, which shows three options helps. https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Technicolor-TG582N-default-username-and-password/m-p/955857#...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Cliff_g
Grafter

Thanks but had already tried those and SadSadSad

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Then why not just bin it and spend £20-30 on a Smarthub 6 from Ebay. You will find out how to set it up on this forum. If you're on standard ADSL and all Plusnet will give you is a Hub Zero you will find that the wireless performance is in a different league providing you separate the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Are you trying to log in via an ethernet connection or wirelessly?

The latter sometimes doesn't work for me.

Cliff_g
Grafter

@Baldrick1 and @JayG :  yes, ethernet, and probably will bin it; it kind of looks like that's the only option anyway!  However, judging by the new green cabinet 400 yards away we are finally not far off FTTC, so need to look ahead a bit. I have my old standard backup router, a Netgear, which is fine for the moment though a tad slower, so have time to plan.  Still galling to have borked the Technicolor through a just a remote restart command.

Cliff_g
Grafter

Fix

Router has leapt into life SmileySmileySmiley  Wanted to try once more before I used the hammer solution

Username admin and password is serial number, as expected

The "only" difference is, when trying to log in to the router to reconfigure it, I had the phone line re-connected (I had had this before but it had not made any difference, but it's true the bulk of my router-admin-login attempts were without the phone line connected)

The router allowed me in, and had connected to Plusnet using a default login (not my login)

I reconfigured the account DSL login and my own WiFi SSID/pw and kaboom!, here we are.  It did take quite a few attempts, though, especially at getting the WiFi config to "stick".  But we're back, faster than the spare router I was on.

I think it did go awol and in spite of many attempts to reconfigure, the re-try with the phone line connected seemed tpo remind it what to do.

Makes me wonder if the config has a check that it will only let you config if you're hooked up to Plusnet.  Cos with the bare, reset, config it did do an ADSL sync ok, which surprised me.

Anyway, result.  Maybe the phone line trick (/check) is something not documented?

Cliff_g
Grafter

Thinking more about this, this would be explained by Plusnet looking to lock the router to Plusnet.  When you do a reset, it maybe needs to be connected to a plusnet line to allow you into the config?  i.e. it must phone home before it lets you in.  This would also explain the slightly strange behaviour - i.e. it simply refreshes the login page in order to empty the two login boxes when I know now for sure my username and password were correct - also that it sync'd and was clearly talking to Plusnet (flashing Internet light) but had no full internet connection.

Suggest Plusnet chat/call/forum support folk check the phone connection is plugged in as part of their protocol, on similar such problems