cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to upgrade router

heatherclark54

Request to upgrade router

Currently we have a Sagecom 2704N router.
I was wondering if it would be possible to request a 'Hub One'? Assuming this is the latest offering.
I have always stuck with ISP supplied routers/modems, however I am finding this one to be somewhat restrictive. It also provides next to no diagnostic information, presumably due to being locked out of the modem.
The inability to see line stats makes it difficult to diagnose issues. A recent, rather frustrating example, I have recently been experiencing rubber-banding. Resetting the router has not fixed this (which I am loathe to do anyway because of DLM).

Would it be possible to request delivery of the latest and greatest Plusnet modem/router? Happy to pay postage.
Or would this have to wait until contract renegotiations? In which case I'll likely look to buy a VDSL router.
8 REPLIES 8
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Request to upgrade router

@heatherclark54

On eBay a Plusnet Hub One seems to go for under £10 including postage.

You will have to put your own settings in (the router won't automatically set up correctly) but you could get one that way.

You can generally get one "free" as part of a renewal of contract (you will still pay postage) but otherwise they have some silly price tag.

A BT home hub is also usable.

I am the satisfied customer....
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the 2704n gives more ADSL stats than the Hub One. It doesn't work with any stats monitoring programs, but the 2704n does display a fairly full set of stats on an advanced page somewhere.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I've got a HubOne, only because we have a long line length to the exchange (landline went down twice - so that shows how good the connection is), the speed was poor and changed to Fibre. You have to pay a delivery charge, and may have to take out a another contract, or I guess extend the one if you're on one. PlusNet are hardly going to supply a router for £7.

If you're happy with the connection and don't mind committing then I think fine. Otherwise I don't know if there is an option to pay for the router outright with no contract? 

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I think there is an option to buy one outright but it's silly money for what it is.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

And being locked to BT/PlusNet - there must be some strange reason they do this. Probably to stop people selling it on eBay. Though it is your property, you should be able to do with as you please, as long as you pay your contracted amount then what is the problem?

If there is any logic to it, I fail to see why.

You may as well buy a generic unlocked one.

markhawkin
Pro

@Alex

Perhaps being charitable, my guess is that the lack of flexibility in settings with ISP supplied routers is more to reduce support calls.

If you get a PlusNet supplied Hub One (or any other current router as far as I know) and plug it in it "just works".

For the average punter this is ideal.

I wouldn't pay more than about £20 for a Hub One but for "free" with a fibre contract it is fine.

heatherclark54

Ive been with plusnet for 22 months i was on a 18 month contract that renewed its self but for the past few month my broadband has been bad i would get 1-2 mbps download and abot 4 mbps upload i should be getting around 50 for the contract i am on (unlimated fibre) but i get pretty much nothing. Half the time it doesnt work. I dont think its my line as that works fine.
markhawkin
Pro

@heatherclark54

My best bet is that something inside or outside your home has changed.

There is a speed fault diagnosis on the Plusnet web site. Follow that exactly including plugging in to the test socket. If that doesn't fix things the best bet is a line or Openreach cabinet fault. I doubt it is a router fault.