cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing router but modem has no internet (Plusnet router works fine).

Balini

Replacing router but modem has no internet (Plusnet router works fine).

Hi, I'm connected with Plusnet fibre and I've bought myself an Asus RT-AX55 router to get better Wifi coverage in my house with the option to add another router for ai-mesh. The Plusnet router works fine and I have internet connection but when I switch out for the BT modem it doesn't receive an internet signal. I tried rebooting the modem to factory settings before connecting. Excuse me being a n00b but have I missed something obvious? I haven't found anything to help on these forums but would appreciate some advice if you have the answer please. Do I need to ring Plusnet and ask them to change my settings? Does the modem need a different setting or have I not reset it properly? The Asus works well - I'm simply using it as Wifi (access point plugged into the Plusnet router, Wifi disabled on the Plusnet) but this isn't ideal of course.

3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Replacing router but modem has no internet (Plusnet router works fine).

1) what lights are on on the modem ?

2) have you set the WAN connection on the AX55 to PPPoE with your PlusNet credentials ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @Balini,

Just adding onto what @MisterW has recommended, you'll need to configure any 3rd party router setup with your Plusnet credentials in order to authenticate on our network. In the router settings, make sure to change your PPP account username to "(your plusnet username)@plusdsl.net" and the PPP password to your Plusnet account password.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team