cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing Plus net router due to issues?

Surfer
Grafter

Replacing Plus net router due to issues?

Our router has been giving us issues for some time and it appears that issue cannot be resolved.  I am now considering purchasing Asus RT-AX88U wireless AX6000 AiMesh Dual Band Gigabit router

Being a total novice in this area, do I just unplug the Plus Net hub and replace it with the Asus unit or do I need a modem etc?  We are on fibre with reasonable speeds when the current router is working properly.   Very poor wifi signal that keeps dropping out.

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Replacing Plus net router due to issues?

@Surfer 

You cannot just plug one of these in, it is a router, you need a combined modem/router or a separate modem to go with this device.

Have you thought this through thoroughly? There have been a few posts recently with people having problems with Plusnet's flaky offerings so wanting to change to a super expensive all bells and whistles router that's designed to work with additional expensive mesh satellite devices.

Personally I think that in many cases there are two cheaper solutions that will do what you need unless you want the other fancy router features:

1.  Pay about £20 and get a BT Smarthub 6 and set that up to work on your Plusnet connection, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85... This fulfills many peoples requirements for a hub with better and more stable WiFi..

2. Pay less than the cost of the fancy router and buy a 3 disk mesh add on for your Plusnet hub. The BT Whole Home system is recommended, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/BT-Whole-Home-Wifi-with-PN/m-p/1652505...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Peterlegend

Yes I replaced mine with a BT 6 smart hub for about £24 for the business version and its very stable.

Surfer
Grafter

Thank you for the excellent advice.  I thought the BT 6 routers were locked into BT and could not be used on Plusnet?

Peterlegend

Not 100% sure but they might own them or they use all the BT services. You just need to change the BT details to the Plusnet details.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Peterlegend 

BT only introduced the 'own them', that is that they charge if you don't return them to new contacts since December 2019. It does not apply to older hubs.

None are locked to BT in that they can also be used on a Plusnet account.

None use what you call BT services except that BT still issue firmware uodates even though they are connected to Plusnet servers. You can't switch off the BT WiFi flag on the residential versions but it is reported that this is not activated, it's just that the hub falsley reports this status. You have full control to switch this off on the business version.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Peterlegend

Thanks for the info, the own them was about the Plusnet brand. If I have any issues I will seek your advice. Peter

Surfer
Grafter

I have bought a new BT 6 smart business hub off eBay.  It should arrive by the weekend and can then set it up.

Peterlegend

Just realised that it was Baldrick1s advice I followed months ago when I was looking for a replacement hub