Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement router

Timothy
Dabbler

Replacement router

Hi,

The Plusnet router has issues with chromecast and there seems to be a reluctance to accept that its a real issue. So I have decided that I need to get a real router.

What is the current recommended replacement?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Replacement router

Much will depend on your requirements and budget, and the type of line you have. From reading the other threads it would seem that the Chromecast software was the problem, so getting them on the working software could be a cheaper option.

However, other routers could have far more functionality that any standard "free" router, have a look over on Kitz for some more information.

Timothy
Dabbler

My Issue is that I want to use my Google home device which runs some the same kind of set up as a chromecast. 

Google says the issue is the router and considering that chromecast runs worldwide and only one router is having problems I agree with them.

Where as they will try and help you with your chromecast as its sold here. The G home however is not and so I have brick as far as Plusnet and Goolge is concerned.

There are a lot of people using the G home in the UK but none using a plusnet router. None using a BT HH5 ver1.

I cannot expect plusnet to fix their router so I only have one option and that is to ditch it and buy one that conforms to the standards.

BTW I have fiber broadband. Plusnet Hub One | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.226 

Mustrum
Community Veteran

From looking at other forums and posts, the HH5 has had the same issue with Chromecasts, but I understand Google Home is very new, not sure if it has been released here yet, either way, there are ways round the problem.

As above, do you have a budget, requirements, or just want it fixed?

Timothy
Dabbler

Hi

The HH5 is the same router as the plusnet router so this is why there is an issue for both BT and PN users. 

One thing to note is that no device should be able to kill a router just by connecting to it.

I would love PN to fix the router with a firmware update. However feedback I have seen says they are in no hurry to do so if ever they do decide to.

My budget is 0-£100

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Timothy

Use the link @Mustrum provided above (which I'll repeat here) to find out what is available  http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html and how good the various all in one routers are.  

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Timothy
Dabbler

Thanks very much. I had followed the link before but as there were so many I was looking for a general advice on the best one.

I went for a Billion BiPAC 8200N in the end.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

It is a very personal choice, but the Billion is a well respected brand. Hopefully it will work well for you for many years.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Mustrum wrote:

Google Home is very new, not sure if it has been released here yet.

I have it on my mobile for use with my Chromecast.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mustrum
Community Veteran

@Strat I believe the OP has one of these things from Google

Strat
Community Veteran

Ah...my bad.
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran

Ah...my bad.
Must keep up at the back.
Strat
Community Veteran

Ah...my bad.
Must keep up at the back.