cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement router advice needed

simonides
Dabbler

Replacement router advice needed

Because I have three elderly dependents (average age 90, two with type 2 Diabetest) and am helping to co-ordinate volunteer support via email for the community at this difficult time, I'm very dependent on have a reliable broadband and am looking for a spare or even upgrade router for my original Plusnet Sagemcom 2704N which has recently been a bit unreliable. Plusnet tested it in March and determined that it was faulty and sent me a replacement but that failed after only a few days, so I'm back with my original 2704N and am worried that it may fail at any time. As Plusnet seem reluctant to replace the faulty new 2704N (though discussion is ongoing) I'm keen to source an alternative from Amazon or ebay.  I've seen mention of the BT Smarthub / Homehub on these pages, Would that be a good replacement? I understand there are lots of different types of BT Smarthub / Homehub and I'm concerned I might end up with the wrong type, so I'd really appreciate any advice so I get get this sorted as soon as possible. Is the Smarthub different from a Homehub? As it's replacing the 2704N I'd need one that plugs straight into the adsl micro filter and then into the phone socket so not for fibre or anything else. Thanks in advance!!!!

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Replacement router advice needed

@simonides 

Basically the BT Smarthubs replace the older Home Hubs The Smarthub 6 is far superior to the Plusnet 2704N and works on both ADSL and fibre. It does require a little setting up, I assume that you have read the setting instructions pinned near the top of this router board.

All versions of the Smarthub 6 will work but my recommendation is the business version. The srandard residential versions  also work fine but you should avoid the FTTP version if possible. Again these wotk but you lose the use of one of the LAN sockets. They are identified by having a red WAN sticker fixed to one of the yellow LAN sockets.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

simonides
Dabbler

hey, that's really helpful!

I've just ordered a "BT Broadband Business Hub v6 Inc All Cables" from ebay. 

What's the benefit of the Business over the Home version?  The prices seem much the same.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@simonides 

There are more settings such as you can select your own DNS servers. Also you can switch off BT WiFi. The residential versions no longer appear to allow control of BT FON although the implications are currenrly unknown.

If you have any problems setting it up then do come back here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

simonides
Dabbler

Many thanks for your kind assistance!   Also, I'm delighted to report that Plusnet (take a bow, Jamie, Team 5) have kindly agreed to replace the faulty router they just sent me (great service, guys!!!) so once the new ones arrive I'll have the contingency I'm looking for!

simonides
Dabbler

Just wanted to report that the BT Smarthub 6 router that I bought on ebay has now been set up following the advice on Baldrick's pinned thread: "Using the BT Smarthub 6 on a Plusnet Account" and is working fine. I'm not seeing any throughput difference on the 2.4 or 5GHz options so I assume it's working optimally. Thanks all!

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@simonides Hi there, if you have any further issues please get back in touch Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team