cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement for Home Hub 5

candell
Grafter

Replacement for Home Hub 5

I've been using my Home Hub 5 for many years with my plusnet account but recently it's looking like it has reached end of life.

What do you all use? It needs to be able to reach to all rooms in the house as we have smart lights. The HH5 used to achieve this until the last few months. The plusnet router provided when I came to plusnet could't reach all rooms.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Replacement for Home Hub 5

The obvious answer is a BT Smarthub 6. Setting instructions are here: https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

They go for £15-20 on Ebay. Many of us use them without any problems

However are you sure that the problem is with your hub? Have you split the channels and tried both, see  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840 ? Whilst these instructions are for a Plusnet Hub One this is in fact a Home Hub 5A with slightly tweeked firmware. Note however that there are many reports of problems with the latest firmware which I suspect affects both BT and Plusnet versions.

Another thing to check is whether neighbours are interfering with your WiFi. Use a free WiFi sniffer app to check, I use WiFi Analyzer on and Android phone. With this you can make sure that you are using a channel that is not being used by neighbours. Check at both the router location and where you use your devices. If necessary manually select a better channel.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

candell
Grafter

It has definitely gone, I turned it off this morning, after 20 mins went to switch it back on and it's giving me nothing.

I'll see if I can find a Smart Hub 6, thank you for the suggestion and set up link. 

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'