Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Router for the one they supply

Holty84
Dabbler

Replacement Router for the one they supply

Hi All,

So, I really struggle with signal - So much so, that when I am up stairs (router at the bottom of the stairs) or in the lounge (lounge is off the hallway) my signal drops. No issue with wired,, I am receiving the 36Mps that I purchased. So it makes me think the wifi signal is really poor.

Could any one recommend a good replacement which is just plug an play for better signal. Currently on Unlimited Fibre, only really have Firestick / mobiles on wifi - PS4 and computer are wired connection.

Regards.

16 REPLIES 16
moansalot
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Replacement Router for the one they supply

Hi Holty84

BT home hub 6 is a much used replacement withing the Plusnet community  plenty on ebay  used or new  approx £20 upwards

The plusnet Hub one  has an issue with Wifi apparently  it does not like  multiple devices - and it's best to seperate the 2.4/5 ghz signals simple tick box  in router settings

Good Luck

Holty84
Dabbler

@moansalot 

Thanks for the reply. I have a BT Hub 6 coming and have seen a 'how to' on here which looks to be really useful and easy to complete (thank you for who completed this).

I will post n update on signal once this is received Smiley

JAK92
Rising Star

Hi, how did you get on with BT Hub 6? Thinking of replacing the Plusnet Hub One soon myself. As the speed keeps decreasing after a week or two and you have to restart it to get the speed back to normal and it's been like that for months. The signal to the bedrooms could be better too so I'm intrigued as to how you're finding it too? Most people on here seem to be impressed by it. 

Holty84
Dabbler

@JAK92
Had mine just under a week now, and have had no issues with it what soever. Each room I get 37mbs (which Is what I pay for) no drop outs. Previously the standard hub they send you would stuggle in some of the bedrooms, even the lounge and would hang at times. Really happy with the BT Hub6. Picked one up from ebay for about £18. Highly recommend!
JAK92
Rising Star

That's great then I might look at investing. How easy was it setting up with all the plusnet account login within the router etc? That's the bit that I'm not confident in even with the guide 😂
Holty84
Dabbler

@JAK92

The set up was real easy, just followed this guide and do it step by step, will only take a few mins
https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

The login details are your username followed by @plusdsl.net and your password to login to the plusnet website. Honestly, it was real easy, and well worth it, seems to have solved my issues
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I would be very interested in your findings. I have the hub 1, that has the test firmware. 5ghz throughput is poor. I was looking at a tp link ac1600 v2, but if the smart hub 6 works then that is a cheaper option. I have a standard semi detached with a conservatory. Hub 1 struggles to get a signal to the conservatory.

Holty84
Dabbler

@penfold 

I have a 3 bed semi, also with a conservatory. The router is based in the hallway by the front door. So far, as I say my experience with the  BT Hub6 as been totally amazing. I have set up 5ghz and 2.4ghz, with my phone and laptop using 5ghz, firesticks using 2.4ghz (I think) and PS4 only allowing 2.4gz. So far, iv had no issues with connection. So much so, that I use to use TP link AV600 range extensions. I no longer have these plugged in around the house as their is no requirement.

I you have an eBay account, I would highly recommend trying a BT Hub 6, get this for around the £20 mark. If you're not happy with it, can always resell it and get the majority back of what you paid.

As I stated, I had TP link AV600 plugged in, this set me back around £70, I wish I just brought t BT hub 6 first (part of the reason I didn't, is I thought it would be too hard to set up... how wrong was I). 

Let me know if you have any other questions?

penfold
Aspiring Pro

Sounds same as me. Router on front windowsill, due to siting of master socket. Will get one and see how it goes.
Holty84
Dabbler

@penfold 

Let us know how you get on with the Hub. Know when I was looking for information, it would be good to hear of success / horror stories.

Just an FYI on the how to guide posted below. I only completed stages 1-12 - didn't do the Business Hub set up extra part, as wasn't required.

JAK92
Rising Star

Quick question did you get random speed drops like every few weeks like I have when you had the Hub One? I currently have to restart the router every week or two to get the speed normal again 

penfold
Aspiring Pro

This is one of the reasons I've got fed up with it. 5ghz speed drops to 20mbps, and range is dire. The thread I was asked to start regards this has gone quiet..... Getting a bt business hub 6, so I can alter default dns servers as well.
Holty84
Dabbler

My router was so intermittent, I'd do speed tests and it would just hang and not find a connection. I never restarted the router, it just use to "find" signal after a few mins.
I'd often get disconnected from team meetings on my laptop due to this. Not had this problem since the BT hub
JAK92
Rising Star

It sounds so similar to mine only the speed would drop hugely and reset fixes it but needs to be done every few weeks and that shouldn't need to happen. My Amazon Fire TV hates it constantly gets disconnected. I'm also happy your house is exactly the same as mine same amount of rooms semi detached and a conservatory 😂 so if the BT Smart Hub works perfectly in yours it should do mine too