Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recurring IP address not found issue

FIXED
sinksy88
Hooked

Recurring IP address not found issue

Have been with Plusnet for ages - recently upgraded to fibre (about a month ago). All was working fine before (bit slow with uploads and downloads, that's all, hence the upgrade decision). Since the fibre move, we have been having constant issues with IP address not being found messages and plenty of 'resolving host' slowness across all devices (except, it seems with Apple IPad although that is slow with some pages, you never seem to get an error message) - i.e. Windows laptops and PCs, Android phones, and both on wifi and ethernet cable connections. Clicking on refresh  of the relevant webpage 2-4 times will normally get the page to load. Lots of different webpages affected. Have raised a complaint - and done all that they suggested (separate out 2.4 from 5G, changing Wi-fi channel, factory reset of router, clearing caches and flushing). They recently sent a new router - same problems. After turning off or factory reset (and with 2nd new router), it all works fine for around a morning or more and then, especially in the afternoon, it goes haywire again. Any ideas? Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
sinksy88
Hooked

Re: Recurring IP address not found issue

I should have added, they and we have run a number of speed tests and they all seemed fine.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Its probably worth looking at this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/DNS-Issues/td-p/1745510/page/5

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@sinksy88 

It is rather unfortunate, but although Plusnet are trying hard to fix the issues, I've concluded from the multitude of threads about problems that the Hub One is a bit duff.

Buying another router, either the BT Smarthub 6 or a router manufacturer's product (TP link for example or others depending on budget) may be the most reliable fix.

If you buy a router that lets you, there is merit in using OpenDNS.

As a test, you could set a device to use OpenDNS and see if that works when others don't.

https://www.opendns.com/setupguide/#familyshield

For most purposes the free account is fine.

https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/

I am the satisfied customer....
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@sinksy88 - I have just pushed an update to your router that will rule out whether or not we're looking at one of the currently known issues.

You'll need to power the router off/back on at your side to apply it.

Let me know if it helps please.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

sinksy88
Hooked

Much appreciated Bob - I thought I'd give it a few days to see if it worked, and it has, many thanks. I have to say though (and not your fault I hasten to add) that Plusnet should not be sending out routers that don't work! They have wasted an awful lot of my time. And I suspect a lot of e-waste will end up in landfill if people are buying BT routers instead and chucking the old ones out (if they have not found this firmware solution). Not very environmentally friendly as a widespread strategy - I wonder if that's in the parent company sustainability reporting?