cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended alternatives to Hub One

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

Recommended alternatives to Hub One

Looking for any recommendations for an alternative Fibre router to the Hub One, which I'm not happy with.

In particular, interested on any experiences with:

Asus DSL-AC68U

Asus DSL-AC88U

AVM!FritzBox 3490

I work from home, so it gets a lot of use. Need good/stable WIFI & ethernet connectivity with numerous devices connected (Sonos, Phones, SkyQ, as well as PC),  and good monitoring/configuration functionality.

Any comments appreciated! Cheers

7 REPLIES 7
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: Recommended alternatives to Hub One

I know that a few regulars around here have the Asus DSL-AC68U. I am looking at getting myself one too as the HubOne wireless signal is a bit flaky on the opposite side of the house. Hopefully one of them will see this and share their experience with one of those models.

Some recomended reading on routers (including links to discussion about each one) can be found on the kitz forum: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note

Topic moved to 'My Router'.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@jaread83 wrote:
I know that a few regulars around here have the Asus DSL-AC68U. I am looking at getting myself one too as the HubOne wireless signal is a bit flaky on the opposite side of the house. Hopefully one of them will see this and share their experience with one of those models.

You could take a look at this thread; my own (as of May 2017) VDSL settings are shown in Post #3. But you may also want to read this regarding current non-support of the router's G.INP functionality by BTOR.

anonymousthegee
Dabbler

Thanks, are you happy with it? I think I'm now down to this Asus, or the TP-Link Archer VR2600.
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Yes, very much so - I also used it as an ADSL router before I switched to fibre. It does tend to get a bad press, IMO because many users 'fiddle' with line settings that in the UK are handled automatically by BTOR's DLM system; and as a result the router and DLM are 'fighting' each other. It's best to set most 'advanced' options to their defaults. The settings options are there for users in other countries where the communications infrastructure does not have a system equivalent to DLM.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@anonymousthegee

It may be a bit more expensive than you would like to spend but I've been very pleased with the Draytek 2860.

There are various models (you need to be careful with the feature set) but it seems to work well and do all the things I want for a family that makes considerable use of the broadband connection.

I am the satisfied customer....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@anonymousthegee

You will probably get nearly as many different recommendations as the number of people you ask, we all have our favourites. It all depends on your budget, performance and 'tweekability' requirements. I have an unlocked HG612 modem and old Asus N55U router that I can use if I really need to monitor my VDSL performance but for everyday I use a BT Smarthub 6 bought cheap off Ebay. This does everything I ask of it and with very good WiFi coverage.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'