Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Router anyone?

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Recommended Router anyone?

I wonder if anyone can recommend a good router set up for PN fibre?

I'm a good few miles - say 5 - from the exchange and about a mile and a bit from the Fibre Cabinet. I get speeds of up to 12 Mbs down and 1  Mbs up and generally speaking a good service enabling streaming of i player, You tube , music and allows me to send and recieve a large quantity of email traffic daily, mostly without problems - but there is a problem.

Current home network set up is a BT/ ECI  Fibre Modem and Technicolour TG582n FTTC ( modified for Fibre)   , with  ethernet connection to a remotely situated small switch and wifi access point  elsewhere in the property. This is a very satisfactory set up when it works which is 95% of the time. I also have a VOIP phone that I rarely use on the network.

Trouble is that the TG582n  randomly throws a wobbly and goes off line while the BT / ECI Modem stays rock solid and connected . Sometimes the TG582n  siezes or it might display random flashing lights like it's Christmas. Sometimes I can log into it's admin interface and ask it to reconnect to the internet, other times I need to turn off its power suplly and wait 60s before restarting the router. Then it is fine.

There must be something wrong electronically. The phone line itself is fine, no noise and it seems unconnected to phone calls etc  and there is nothing nearby causing EF I can see that would cause the TG582n  to start doing what it does.   Most evenings  the router will drop connection at roughly 11pm when I might be streaming i Player or some music. Nothing in the building switches on or off at that time. My intuition suggests that the TG582n is sensitive to something, or that it tries to carry out some process at the same time each day, which causes system crashes.

If I were to replance the set up what would be my best bet for a troible free set up? I dont want  to spend a fortune and reading about other users experience of the Hub One I don't want to try one of those on its own.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Recommended Router anyone?

Personally I would buy a Draytek 2820n second hand from eBay, typically £20.

This works well with the Openreach modem via the Ethernet port. I had that running rock solid for months like that before upgrading to the 2860.

Instructions https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-btfttc-openreachmodem

Needs (harmless) registration.

I am the satisfied customer....
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Everyone has their favourite. It depends on what you have to spend. As you are currently happy with an ECI modem I assume that you are not too interested in monitoring performance. If that is the case then I would go for a BT Smart Hub 6 off EBay. You need to get the FTTC version and set it up for Plusnet but full instructions are in the Router forum.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

runhare
Aspiring Pro

Actaully baldrick1, monitoring the line is something I do like to keep an eye on, but then I do have a Sam Knows whitebox on the system to do some of that for me.

runhare
Aspiring Pro

i know this router, but it's a beast! Huge. I can't fit something a foot wide into my comunications cubby hole! Good idea though, I may try it.

Anyway, temporarily I have had to resort to using  a Sagecom 2740N FTTC router that I had hanging around as the Technicolour was dropping the connection so often yesterday evening that it went into a stuck ppp session and I could persuade it to connect, despite the BT/ ECI modem showing a normal sync.