Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations on VDSL modem/routers

khaled35
Rising Star

Recommendations on VDSL modem/routers

Hi all,

Currently using a BTOR modem and an Asus RT66U.  I am looking at upgrading to an all in one device.

I have been specifically looking at Asus DSL-AC55U and DSL-AC68U and I'm not sure which is better.  The only reason I've only looked at the Asus products is because I have really liked the RT66U over the years.

I am however open to any suggestions.  Anything that works well and won't put me in the poor house.

For the most part, my PCs are hardwired, but I do use Chromecast, a smart TV, and an iPad or 3.  So basically wireless coverage needs to be decent.

Thanks folks.

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Recommendations on VDSL modem/routers

I suspect that this may get shunted over to the Router forum.

You will probably get many suggestions. I have recently swapped to a BT Smart Hub 6. I find that the wireless parformance is better than the Asus N55U that I was using as a router with a BT modem. It is lower power (it doesn't get so hot) and only cost £40 off Ebay.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

These are the commercially available combined ones - doesn't include the Homehub for that reason http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

khaled35
Rising Star

@Baldrick1 - cheers for that. Didn't even know there was a router forum. Found it and then read this about the AC68U

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/ASUS-DSL-AC68U-timeout-waiting-for-PADO-packets/td-p/1480713

Will now have a look at the link posted by @Oldjim - thank you both.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I have the DSL-AC68U Thumbs_Up with no problems

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator Note by Dick (Strat)

Topic moved to My Router board.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jonnoandrews
Hooked

Plus 1 for..

I have the DSL-AC68U Thumbs Up with no problems

I was wary for ages seeing as there were people who said the modem software was immature and buggy but it's been rock solid. 

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had an AC68U in service on my ADSL line and it dropped PPP once or twice a day and had to be manually reconnected.

I tried it on my Fibre line a few weeks ago and it was rock solid.

There have been a couple of firmware updates between the two instances.

It's now back on the shelf upstairs and my Billion 8800AXL is back in charge.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
khaled35
Rising Star

I don't know what g.inp or g.fast are but there's a lot of buzz about these things.  Does the AC68U handle that stuff /if/when they come out?

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

The DSL-AC68U did support G.INP until earlier this year, when for reasons that are not entirely clear, BTOR seem to have decided not to allow it to connect using this form of error correction. It appears to be related to the Mediatek DSL chipset that the router uses. There are hopes that Asus will release a revised firmware to resolve this issue, but no promises!

G.FAST (which is not yet widely available and is likely to be a premium service) is also not supported by the DSL-AC68U - only a few very recent routers (such as the Asus DSL-AC88U) do.

khaled35
Rising Star

The ac88u is about 60 quid more expensive than the ac68u AND neither currently supports g.inp

From what I'm reading, g.fast may not even matter in the UK as it will likely not get rolled out.

On the face of things, the ac68u makes more sense (over ac88u) but are there other, comparable products, that do support g.inp?

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The DSL-AC88U supports both G.INP and G.Fast and the current trial of the latter has recently been significantly expanded.

It also supports vectoring and profile 35b Smiley

Foz72

Hi Rongtw,

Would it be possible to post your DSL settings in Administration please, or send me a message with them on? As i have an AC68U and ive just joined plusnet from BT but my router keeps saying i have an unstable line when checking on the admin page, which it never did when i was BT.

Im sure its the settings in the DSL area but i cant seem to get them right, even though ive tried different ones ive seen on here.

Im going round in circles with it! argh!

Any help would be great....

Thanks muchly

Foz.

NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

See Post #3 here for my DSL-AC68U settings for VDSL.