cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendation for a fibre bridge/modem/router

JR2

Recommendation for a fibre bridge/modem/router

I've recently purchased a Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine (UDM) which I want to use as the core of my home network. I've got it replacing my Plusnet One hub for wifi and as a switch for some of my wired devices. However, I'm currently using it in a double NAT configuration with the Plusnet One hub which is fine for most purposes, but my Netatmo cameras don't seem to like working in this way (possibly due to uPNP).

I'm looking at replacing the Plusnet hub with a bridge modem and looking for recommendations:

• Draytek Vigor 130 looks good (but is currently out of stock everywhere I've looked). It's quite expensive, but is it worth the extra money?
  • Draytek Vigor 166. Is this a replacement for the 130? Would this do the job?
  • TPLink TD-W9970. I've seen it suggested in this forum and looks like it can run in bridge mode.
  • TPLink TD-W9960. Also looks like it could do the job. Is the only difference between this and the TD-W9970 the USB port?

Any pros/cons for the above, and anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanks for any advice.

5 REPLIES 5
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Re: Recommendation for a fibre bridge/modem/router

Hi @JR2
As you only need the modem funtionality, I would suggest not paying the extra for the Draytek devices.
The TP link devices use broadcom chipsets which are often recommended.
Regards
Richard
JR2

Thanks @RichardB for the quick and helpful response.

Given what you say about only needing the modem functionality and therefore not paying the extra for the Draytek devices, what use case would make the Draytek worth paying extra for?

Thanks.

Pressure

I am also interested in what modem might go with a Unifi Dream Machine. I'm thinking of getting one but before I take the plunge I want to make sure I can set up the new system without it all going wrong! Is there a guide to setting up your own router? Thanks in advance!

JR2

I ended up using an old Draytek 2750n that a colleague no longer needed and loaned me. I put it into bridge/modem mode and configured the UDM for PPOE. Took a bit of fiddling on the Draytek side but once sorted has been working very well.

Pressure

Many thanks - I will investigate!