cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Changes to WiFi Connectivity - Devices now unable to connect

FIXED
thefireball

Recent Changes to WiFi Connectivity - Devices now unable to connect

I have a Plusnet Hub One on, which for approx 2+ years has behaved fine. Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 | Last updated 22/03/19.

In the past 3 months however, some mobile devices have experienced dropped connection for small periods of time (completely disconnect from the wifi). Two Win10 laptops will not connect to it at all (reporting "Cannot connect to this network"), having been completely fine before, and connecting fine to other networks. My smart home devices have flashed up occasional messages saying no wifi available too, usually resolving within a minute. Prior to this, i hadn't logged into the router to change any settings for near to a year. Ethernet connections are stable. It's a one bed flat with no furniture changes etc. either, so i consider external variables unchanged.

Thinks I've tried so far:

• Restarting the router.
  • Looking for less used channels and changing to one of these (changed both 5ghz and 2.4ghz).
  • Disabling either 5ghz or 2.4ghz to leave just one active.
  • Dropping the 5ghz to a/n from a/n/ac.

Questions are:

• Are there any common occurrences/reports of this out there in recent months, such as a router update could have caused it?
  • Is a full factory reset likely to clear any bad files/caches on the router, or does it just reset the settings?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (3)
8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Recent Changes to WiFi Connectivity - Devices now unable to connect

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Fix

Welcome to the forums @thefireball Smiley

If the issues were caused by the latest software (263) then you'd only have had problems since that date, or based on my experience around 3 days after the software was installed - You have mentioned 3 months so it might not be the software

(but from what you've written, then there's a chance the software could be at fault)

Regarding the W10 laptops, I also has this and it is documented here but the following might not work for you - I found that by connecting all of our W10 laptops via ethernet to the H1, then running windows update actually fixed the can't connect message. Then after the updates installed these devices could then connect to the router, albeit for a short time as they all started dropping from the router too. Another user tried this and it didn't work for them, but a few more minutes wasted might still be worth a try.

Have you tried unsyncing the wifi SSID's ? To change it click this http://192.168.1.254/index.cgi?active_page=9105 and tick no for the sync to 2.4, then either add something to the SSID (it doesn't need to be -5g, but some do this) or give it a different name, then click apply

I actually found that turning off the 5GHz gave the best result as it does seem to be the 5GHz that is giving the most hassle.

Are there any common occurrences/reports of this out there in recent months, such as a router update could have caused it?

Yes, there's a few of us that have had issues - by had I mean we've either swapped to a BTH6 or had a downgrade to the software. Others are still waiting for a downgrade and it's possible others (like yourself) have not read about it prior to joining the forums. Some could be suffering in silence and think their devices are at fault - just my opinion:)

Also, pop these in to google:

4.7.5.1.83.8.263 site:community.plus.net

4.7.5.1.83.8.264 site:community.bt.com

(the H1's twin, the BTHH5 is also giving users wifi issues)

Is a full factory reset likely to clear any bad files/caches on the router, or does it just reset the settings?

It might be worth a try, as this is what Plusnet will ask you to do. I did several and they didn't help

(mine was the 20 second press of the rear pinhole reset button press - restores it to factory settings, though it will retain the software version it is already on)

Also, there is a questionnaire from Plusnet that would be useful if you could fill out:

This will help with our investigations and hopefully allow us to replicate the problem in a lab environment -

1. Exactly how does the problem masquerade itself, what are the symptoms?

2. When did the problem start?

3. What firmware version is customer running and when was it last updated?

4. What devices does the customer have on their network and how are they connected, eg. wired or wireless?

5. How is the customer's network configured i.e. any Powerline adapters, additional switches, attached storage or or wi-fi access points in use?

6. What devices does the problem affect and what software/firmware versions are they running (if known). This will help us try and replicate the issue in a lab environment.

7. Are the 2.4GHz/5GHz radios separated or merged (they're merged by default). If separated, which radio is affected (or is it both)?

8. Has the customer tried factory resetting? (if not, please ask them to try this)

9. Would customer be willing to downgrade firmware if we need to in order to help diagnose the issue. Bear in mind this will wipe all of the settings back to factory defaults, and we may need to upgrade/downgrade a second time to further prove that it's the firmware that's the cause of the issue.

No obligation to fill out Wink

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @thefireball and welcome to our Community!

Another spot on reply from one of our top posters @DS there - I'll be out of a job at this rate!

I'd definitely recommend following the advice that @DS has given. If you can post your results in your response it'll definitely help to narrow down the issue. I'd start with the factory reset, although as surmised earlier it's unlikely to resolve the issue but we do need to try that step.

Please let us all know how you get on.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Cheesy

Plusnet wouldn't be able to afford me;)

(so you should be fine....Lips_are_sealed)

"one of our top posters"

(nah, one of the top whingers more like)

thefireball

@DS @OskarPapa

Thanks both for the information. Having read that and the suggested posts, I've simply disabled 5ghz completely for now. This has fixed the PC issues which is a start, and guessing by what others have seen, should hopefully solve the intermittent drops, although time will tell that.

Certainly seems to be the same issue others are experiencing.

Decided not to hard reset the router, mainly as you and others have pointed out it's fairly futile. I understand Plusnet would request this as a matter of course, but seeing there doesn't seem to be an established fix yet, I can't see any point chasing for an official fix either right now. Unless I'm missing something (such as if there's a path to getting an equivalent BTH6)?
DS
Seasoned Champion

No problem @thefireball Smiley

Depending on how much of my linked thread you read, you may find the 2.4GHz might also become, erm, an 'issue'. I really hope it doesn't but just pointing it out

(mine went even further and started to affect wired devices too - though that makes only 2 users to have seen this)

Those that have witnessed this issue have found that there is no fixed pattern, as in routers from various serial numbers have been affected, so finding a route cause is still an issue in itself.

AFAIK Plusnet have also not been able to replicate it, or they have and they (plus Sagemcom) are hiding under their desks, perhaps....?

I can't actually fault you for not trying the factory reset, but without trying you may never know - but it's totally up to you

(you can backup a copy of the settings to say your desktop, then factory reset and restore the settings after doing so - I'd point you to how to do this using certain shortcuts but I'm no longer using a H1)

The only path is one you'd walk alone - getting yourself one off ebay for example. You need to be looking for a FTTC one and not a FTTP one. You can pick one up for around £20, but ideally go for a BNIB one. Many have opted for a second hand one and have had no issues with these.

You'd need to turn off 'smart' setup and input your plusnet credentials to get it to work, though there is an how to posted somewhere on the forums if you're not too technical with things like that.

If you opt for an ebay one, by all means pop the link up (before committing) and I'll let you know if it's the one you need.

Or wait an unknown time for Plusnet to have a light bulb moment and come up with a fix.....

thefireball

Cheers for that. I did notice the fact 2.4ghz degenerated for some, plus that overall no one fix seems to solve it. I think patch and try things as issues arise seems sensible.

I'd backed up the config's already, I'll look at a reset if it worsens. I'll weigh up waiting out a fix or getting a proper WiFi setup and downgrading the One Hub to basic operations to outsource the routing duties to something else. I've got plenty of hardware lying around, just liked the all in one option if it worked.

Cheers again!
DS
Seasoned Champion

Just keep an eye on things Wink

(though having devices drop from the router would be obvious)

I always back a copy of mine up too. The only issue with this is if or when you have a software downgrade, the restore function doesn't work if the software goes back too far - so someone on .259 has an update to .263, but they have .259 backed up, the downgrade seems to be to .237.1.1 so .259's won't load.

I had my PNH1 as a primary router, serving another secondary router upstairs. This gave me 4x wifi SSIDs (2x 2.4 and 2x 5GHz), all on different channels. If you have a spare BT router knocking about I could probably dig out my old how to. The good thing for me was when my PNH1 suffered a wifi dropout I could jump to my other router and sorta carry on (the range wasn't too good where my laptop tends to live).

To be honest, I am surprised Plusnet have not been able to replicate this yet

(BTH6's are cheap enough (BT sell them for £137 new, so for £20 I know which one I'd go for).

If it gets any worse, or indeed better, let us know Wink

edit. Typo